By Don Taylor
Samuel was an Immigrant Ancestor. Born in June 1867 in Ireland, he came to the United States in 1883, when he was only 16 years old. Once he turned 21, he became a U.S. citizen. He lived his adult life in Salem, Massachusetts, and died in 1909 at the age of 42. He left behind a wife and eight children 18 years old and younger.
Bradley/Hingston – Ancestor #14
List of Grandparents
- Grandmother: BH-07 – Florence Reid(1891-1984)
- 1st Great-grandfather: BH-14 – Samuel J Reid (1867-1909)
- 2nd Great-grandfather: BH-28 – James E Reid (___-___)
Samuel J Reid (1867-1909) (Events By Date)
Samuel was born on 28 June 1867 in Stewartstown, County Tyrone, Ireland.
Stewartstown is a small town in what is now Northern Ireland. Life must have been difficult for the young Samuel, who was born between two major potato famines. Certainly, there was significant unrest in Ireland. In 1867 the Orange Order (Protestant) clashed with the Catholics. County Tyrone was one of four counties in Northern Ireland that had a majority of Catholics. Other than his parents’ names, James E Reid and Jane Stewart, I haven’t learned anything about his childhood in Ireland.
In 1883, to rid itself of indigent Irish, there was a program to assist poor Irish to leave the country. The Crown would pay a one-way fare to get them to leave. I don’t know if Samuel used that program to emigrate, but after he turned 16 in 1883 and left Ireland for the US about a month later. His ship arrived in Boston on 14 August 1883. Five years later, when he became 21 years old, he became a United States citizen.
Samuel married Sarah J Locke, of Arlington, Mass., on 26 June 1880. Samuel was 22, and Sarah was 20. James P. Franks performed the ceremony. James was an Episcopal minister at Grace Church in Salem.
Children of James J and Sarah J (Locke) Reid
|Florence||1891||William Robert Hingston||1984|
|George Samuel||1895||Letitia Louis Dinan||1918|
|Mary E||1899||Frank W Stackpole||–|
|Margaret||1908||Bertram D Coffin||1994|
1895 – Samuel worked as a currier when George was born.
1899 – Samuel was still working as a currier when Mary was born
1900 – Census indicates Samuel and his family were renting a home at 29 Summit Street. Samuel had been unemployed for three months during the previous year but worked as a “Whitener.” Florence and James were in school; George and Mary were too young for school.
1909 – Samuel died on 21 November 1909 at home, 46 Prospect, Salem, Mass., from tuberculosis of the spine. He was buried on 23 November 1909 in Lot L2093, Grave 5, at Green Lawn Cemetery in Salem.
Events by Location
- Ireland, County Tyrone, Stewartstown – Birth
- United States, Massachusetts, Boston – Immigration, Naturalization
- United States, Massachusetts, Salem – Births of his nine children, 1900 Census, & Death.
See Endnote #1 below.
- 1900 Census, 1900 Census – Samuel Reid – Salem, Exxes, MA (FS). “United States Census, 1900,” database with images, FamilySearch (https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:M9RD-W5N : accessed 18 March 2018), Florence Reid in the household of Samuel Reid, Salem city Ward 4, Essex, Massachusetts, United States; citing enumeration district (ED) 451, sheet 2A, family 34, NARA microfilm publication T623 (Washington, D.C.: National Archives and Records Administration, 1972.); FHL microfilm 1,240,647.
- com, Massachusetts, U.S., State and Federal Naturalization Records, 1798-1950 (Provo, UT, USA, Ancestry.com Operations, Inc., 2011), Ancestry.Com, National Archives at Boston; Waltham, Massachusetts; ARC Title: Petitions and Records of Naturalization, 8/1845 – 12/1911; NAI Number: 3000057; Record Group Title: Records of District Courts of the United States, 1685-2009; Record Group Number: RG 21.
- Find a Grave Memorial, Find a Grave, Samuel Reid – Memorial 235016939 – No Image. Find a Grave, database and images (https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/235016939/samuel-reid : accessed 18 April 2022), memorial page for Samuel Reid (unknown–unknown), Find a Grave Memorial ID 235016939, citing Greenlawn Cemetery, Salem, Essex County, Massachusetts, USA; Maintained by K Berry & JGBC (contributor 47557551).
- Ireland Births and Baptisms, 1620-1881, Family Search, Samuel Reid – 25 June 1867 – Stewartstown, Tyrone, Ireland – Image Unavailable. “Ireland Births and Baptisms, 1620-1881”, database, FamilySearch (https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:FR9P-KQS : 15 February 2020), Samuel Reid, 1867.
- Massachusetts Births, 1841-1915, Family Search, Mary Ann Reid – 20 May 1899 – Salem, Mass. “Massachusetts Births, 1841-1915,” database with images, FamilySearch (https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:FXX1-8BX : 20 February 2021), Mary Ann Reid, 20 May 1899, Salem, Essex, Massachusetts; citing reference ID #p 391, Massachusetts Archives, Boston; FHL microfilm 1,843,710.
- Massachusetts Deaths, 1841-1915, 1921-1924, Death Certificate: Samuel Reid – 21 Nov 1909. “Massachusetts Deaths, 1841-1915, 1921-1924,” database with images, FamilySearch (https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:N49B-NVF : 2 March 2021), Samuel Reid, 21 Nov 1909; citing Salem,,Massachusetts, 17, State Archives, Boston; FHL microfilm 2,313,603.
- Massachusetts Marriages, 1841-1915, Family Search, George Samuel Reid – Letitia Louis Dynan – 16 February 1915. “Massachusetts Marriages, 1841-1915,” database with images, FamilySearch (https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:N4XC-7WP : 10 March 2021), George Samuel Reid and Letitia Louis Dynan, 16 February 1915; citing Peabody, Essex, Massachusetts, United States, State Archives, Boston; FHL microfilm 2,411,235.
- Massachusetts Marriages, 1841-1915, Family Search, Samuel Reid – Sarah J. Locke – 26 June 1890. “Massachusetts Marriages, 1841-1915,” database with images, FamilySearch (https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:N4Z6-5G9 : 10 March 2021), Samuel Reid and Sarah J. Locke, 26 June 1890; citing Salem, Essex, Massachusetts, United States, State Archives, Boston; FHL microfilm 1,415,227.
- New Hampshire Marriage Records, 1637-1947 (Concord, Bureau of Vital Records and Health Statistics), Family Search, Frank W. Stackpole and Mary E. Reid, 30 January 1920; Portsmouth, Rockingham, New Hampshire. Accessed 15 April 2022. https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:FL8X-3DX.
- The U.S. City Directories, 1822-1995, Com, 1910 – Salem, MA – Page 357 – Reid.
 Based upon great-grandparents, we know from the paper trail, the “home” person in this project is 25% Irish and 12.5% English. Further research is needed to determine the other 62.5% of ancestry
 Accessed 18 April 2022.
 Ireland Births and Baptisms, 1620-1881 indicates he was born 25 June 1867. However, an image for that record is not available.
His Naturalization record indicates he was born on 28 June 1867.
His Death Record indicates he was 41 years, 4 months, 21 days old at his death on 21 November 1909 which suggests a birth date in June 1868.
Because he presumably entered the information on his naturalization record, and because I have not found the image from the Ireland Births and Baptisms, I prefer using 28 June 1867 as his birthdate.
 I have additional work to determine two birth dates, six death dates, and if four of the children married. I expect to fill in those blanks when I research Sarah’s life and events in her life,
 A whitener is a person who bleaches cloth.