Those Places Thursday
By Don Taylor
I often see articles and blogs that remind readers to write about their own life. Something that several suggest is to write about schools that you have attended. Most people have a few schools, but I have 15 schools that I have attended. It is more of a book rather than an article or two. Looking back, I have attended seven elementary schools, one junior high school, two high schools, and four colleges. Add over a year of Navy training and work-focused training, I have had quite a varied education. In the following articles, I examine schools attended, what I can remember about them, and in some cases what happened to the school.
- 1955 – Scheffer Elementary, St. Paul, MN– Kindergarten – 1955.
- 1956 – Ralph Waldo Emerson Elementary, Minneapolis, MN – 1st grade – 1956.
- 1957 – Cambridge Elementary, Cambridge, MN – 2nd grade – 1957.
- 1958 – Franklin Elementary, Anoka, MN – 2nd half of 2nd grade.
- 1958 – Parkview Elementary, Fridley, MN – 3rd, 4th, & 5th grades.
- 1961 – Spring Lake Park Elementary, Spring Lake Park, MN – 5th & 6th grades.
- 1961 – Elizabeth Hall Elementary, Minneapolis, MN 6th grade.
- 1962 – Jordan Junior High School, Minneapolis, MN 7th, 8th, & 9th grades.
- 1965 – Osse0 High School, Osseo, MN – Most of 10th grade
- 1965 – Mumford High School, Detroit, MI – part of 10th grade.
- 1966 – Osse0 High School, Osseo, MN – 11th, & 12th grades
- 1968 – Graduated from Osseo High School
- 1969-1972 – Navy Education, BEEP, ETA School, ETC School (KY-7)
- 1974 – Chapman College, Orange, California (Navy PACE) (USS Kitty Hawk)
- 1976 – Chaminade University, Honolulu, Hawaii (Navy PACE) (NAVCAMS EastPAC)
- 1981-1982 – Anoka-Ramsey Community College, Coon Rapids, MN
- 1983-1986 – Metropolitan State University, St. Paul, MN
1987-2011 – Schools I’ve Attended – Work Schools
 Scheffer – If you had asked me before I drafted this page, I would have said I attended Schaeffer Elementary. Researching for this series of articles I learned I attended Scheffer Elementary. I double checked my DD Form 398 – Statement of Personal History, which indicated Schaeffer when I filled it out back in 1968. Also, the form only included spaces for five schools; I had to continue on another page.