I recently received a copy of the “Butterfield Bible” from a friend who asked that I share its contents with the “Genealogy World.” The bible is an 1889 edition that appears to have originally been owned by Daisy E. Butterfield of Marseilles, Illinois, who put her name inside the front cover in 1889. Sarah “Daisy” Butterfield was born 20 February 1879, so she would have been 10-years-old in 1889. The section between the Old and New Testaments includes “Family Record” sheets for Marriages, Births, and Deaths. This is a transcript of the “Marriages.” Besides the entries in the Bible, there is an additional paper with 2½ pages of marriages.
Marriages entered in the Bible
A. Butterfield & Sarah Drackley – Nov 1st 1860 – Manlius Twp.[i] Ills.
- Fannie Butterfield & Lewis M. Eddy – Dec 27 1881 – Marseilles, Ills.
- Alice M. Butterfield & Fred. M. Eichelberger – June 29, 1887 – Marseilles, Ills.
- Lois A. Butterfield & Melvin R, Parr – Feb. 17, 1892 – Ottawa, Ills.
- Louis A Butterfield & Edith Zimmerman – Feb 12, 1901 – Manlius Twp. Ills.
- Josephine Eddy – James B. Wideman – Nov. 26, 1903 – Chicago, Ills.
- Sarah E. Butterfield & Walter F. Larrabee – Dec 20, 1904 – Seneca, Ills.
- Louis E. Larrabee & Marion Wiggin – Oct 9, 1930 – Scarborough, ME[ii]
- Stephen Harris Larrabee & Hannah Isabel Latimer – Nov 16 – 1935 – In Buenos Aires, Argentina[iii]
There is only one page of marriages in the book, however, there is a separate sheet of paper that contains a continued sheet of Marriages. It says:
Family Record – Continued – Marriages (front)
- Blanche Eddy & Hugh Herbert Britton – Chicago – Feb. 27, 1914.
- Hazel Eddy & John William Lindner – Chicago – Feb 27, 1914.
- Fannie Eddy & Richard Wade Webster – Marseilles, Ills. – March 2, 1915.
- Katherine Sarah Butterfield & Floyd E. Roberts – Chicago, Ills. (no date entered)
- Emma Lou Butterfield & Donald W Zimm- – Seneca, Ills. – June 1930.
- Louis E Larrabee – Marion Wiggin – Scarboro Beach, Me. – Oct 9, 1930.
- Stephen Harris Larrabee & Hanna Isabel Latimer – Buenos Aires, Argentina, So. Am – Nov 10, 1935.
Family Record – Continued – Marriages (Inside left)
- Elenore Wideman & John Evan Picton – Aug. 2nd 1924
- Blanche Wideman & Fred B. Scott – Aug 6, 1925.
- Leola Eichelber & George Hobsow – Dec 23, 1908.
- Phiranda A Butterfield (Phillip( & Mary Hustava – July 18, 1931.
- Albert Will Butterfield & Cathleen Stady – June 12 – 1938 – Cairo, Ills
- Richard Wade Webster, Jr. & Mildred Wahl (no date provided)
- Rita Sarah Webster (Fanny Eddy Webster) & Jack Hiatt (no date provided)
- Robert Arthur Webster & Jean Marie Russeth – June 10th, 1944 – Nerstrand, Minnesota
Family Record – Continued – Marriages (Inside right)
- Lean E. Britton & Emil C. Seidel (dau Blanche Eddy Britton) – June 27, 1940 – Dubuque, Iowa.
- Russell Laurin Butterfield & Mrs. Bernice Carr (son Louis A Butterfield) – Jan 16, 1943 – LaSalle, Ills.
- Leola Eichelberger Hobson & Edwin W. Schaub – Jan 1943 – in Calif.
Robert Arthur Websterand
[i] There are two Manlius Townships in Illinois. One is in Bureau County and the other is in LaSalle County. One is about 60 miles west of Marseilles, Illinois and the other is about six miles east of Marseilles. I presume the Manlius Township mentioned here is the one in LaSalle County.
[ii] The marriage of Louis Larrabee to Marion Wiggin is repeated on continuation sheet 1 (front).
[iii] The marriage of Stephen Larrabee to Hannah Latimer is repeated on continuation sheet 1 (front).