By Don Taylor
Addie Beatrice Gleason is my son’s maternal great-grandmother. She was born on 4 November 1896 in Minneapolis, Hennepin, Minnesota. Her father, John Michael Gleason, was 42 and her mother, Addie Jane Raymond, was 29. She had four sons and one daughter with Gilbert F. Raidt. She lived her entire life in Minneapolis, Minnesota. She died on 7 April 1896 and was buried in Saint Mary’s Cemetery, Minneapolis, Minnesota.
Raidt Project – Ancestor #13
List of Grandparents
- 6 – Grandfather: Jerome Gilbert Raidt (1924-1994) – See Family Search
- 13 – 1st Great-grandmother: Addie Beatrice Gleason (1886-1962)
- 26 – 2nd great-grandfather: John M Gleason
Addie Beatrice Gleason (1886-1962)
Addie Beatrice Gleason was born on 4 November 1896.[i] Most of the records she appears in indicate she went by Beatrice. She was the oldest of four children of John M and Addie (Raymond) Gleason. Her father was married before and had five children with Fidelia[ii] Ethlyn Lucia, so Beatrice had five older half-siblings, John Lucia, Mary Fidelle, Caroline, Clara, and Helen. Fidelia died in 1893.
Children of John M and Addie (Raymond) Gleason (Full Siblings)
|Beatrice A||1896||Gilbert Raidt||1962|
|Grace Catherine||1898||Harold Hawley||1986|
|Alma Magdalene||1903||P. J. O’Hanlon||1987|
The 1900 US Census found John and Addie Gleason living at 2617 16th Ave So., Minneapolis, Minnesota. The household consisted of John’s seven oldest children, his sister-in-law, Caroline Branchard, and a 20-year-old servant girl. John owned his home free and was an undertaker.
1905 Minnesota Census
Minnesota held a census in 1905. Eight-year-old Addie was attending school. Her half-sister Helen was still at home, but her other half-siblings had moved out of the house.
The 1910 Census indicates that John and Clara had moved back home, making the household:
- John M Gleason Head M 57
- Addie J Gleason Wife F 43
- John L Gleason Son M 26
- Clara T Gleason Dau. F 21
- Helen Gleason Dau. F 20
- Beatrice Gleason Dau. F 13
- Grace Gleason Dau. F 11
- Raymond Gleason Son M 9
- Alma Gleason Dau. F 6
The 1920 Census indicates that the family was much the same. John L was also working as an undertaker. Clara was a school teacher. Also living in the household was Beatrice’s maternal grandmother, 81-year-old Emily Raymond.
Beatrice was an Alpha Gamma Delta sorority member and graduated from St. Clara’s college, Sinsinawa, Wisconsin, and the University of Minnesota, Class of 1920.
Beatrice married Gilbert Frank Raidt on 13 October 1920 at the Holy Rosary Catholic Church in Minneapolis. by Rev. J. P. Valley at 10 o’clock. Her sister, Grace, was the maid of honor. Harold Hurd Hawley, later to be Grace’s husband, was Gilbert’s best man.
Children of Gilbert and Beatrice (Gleason) Raidt
|Jerome Gilbert||1924||Elenor Langford||1994|
|Mary Beatrice||1926||Paul Theurer||2008|
|Richard John||1928||Audry Schaeffer||2001|
The 1930 Census finds the Raidt family living at 4215 Stevens Ave. Robert was born shortly after the enumeration date. Gilbert is a building contractor who owns his home.
Beatrice’s mother died in October 1932.
Beatrice was also a member of the Incarnation Women’s Club.
The 1940 Census found the Raidt family still at 4215 Stevens Ave. Francis is working as a bookkeeper for a grain Elevator company. The other children are at home and are attending school.
Gilbert’s Draft Registration Card mentioned Mrs. G. F. Raidt (Beatrice) in 1942.
The 1950 Census found the Raidt family still at 4215 Stevens. Mary, Richard, and Robert are still at home. Mary is a nursery school teacher at a private school, Richard is a truck driver for an oil co-op, and Gilbert is still a building contractor.
It appears the Raidt home on Stevens was taken to make way for Interstate 35W in South Minneapolis because today, the site of their home is a sound suppression wall. In any event, between 1950 and 1962, the Raidts moved from Stevens Ave to 315 E. Diamond Lake Road, a 1547 square foot, three-bedroom home
Beatrice (Gleason) Raidt died on 7 March 1962. Her obituary mentions that besides her membership in the Incarnation Women’s Club, she was also a member of St. Mary’s Friends of the Sick Poor and the Altar and Rosary Society of Annunciation Catholic Church.
She was buried at Saint Mary’s Cemetery in Minneapolis, Minnesota.
Events by Location
Minnesota, Hennepin, Minneapolis – All known events in Beatrice’s life took place in Minneapolis.
- 1900 Census, Various, John Gleason – Minneapolis, Hennepin, Minnesota, ED 76, Sheet 15B. “United States Census, 1900,” database with images, FamilySearch (https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:M9SN-GW2 : accessed 17 June 2022), John Gleason, Election District 3 Minneapolis city Ward 7, Hennepin, Minnesota, United States; citing enumeration district (ED) 76, sheet 15B, family 308, NARA microfilm publication T623 (Washington, D.C.: National Archives and Records Administration, 1972.); FHL microfilm 1,240,768.
- 1910 Census (NARA), Family Search, John M Gleason – Minneapolis, Hennepin, Minnesota. (Accessed 17 June 2022), John M Gleason, Minneapolis Ward 7, Hennepin, Minnesota, United States; citing enumeration district (ED) ED 120, sheet 10B, family, NARA microfilm publication T624 (Washington D.C.: National Archives and Records Administration, 1982), roll 703; FHL microfilm 1,374,716. https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:M257-N7Y.
- 1920 Census (NARA), Family Search, John M Gleason, Head – Hennepin, Minnesota. (Accessed 17 June 2022) John M Gleason, 1920. https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:MWYV-1XB.
- 1930 Census (NARA), Family Search, Gilbert F Raidt, Minneapolis, Hennepin, Minnesota. https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:X3ZB-WJN.
- 1940 Census (NARA), Family Search, Gilbert Raidt – Minneapolis, Hennepin, Minnesota. https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:KSKD-7MG.
- 1950 Census, Com, 1950, Gilbert F Raidt – Minneapolis, Hennepin, Minnesota. The United States of America, Bureau of the Census; Washington, D.C.; Seventeenth Census of the United States, 1950; Record Group: Records of the Bureau of the Census, 1790-2007; Record Group Number: 29; Residence Date: 1950; Home in 1950: Minneapolis, Hennepin, Minnesota; Roll: 3852; Sheet Number: 71; Enumeration District: 89-853. https://www.ancestry.com/sharing/29052751?h=4a8758.
- Find a Grave, Internet, Beatrice Marie Gleason Raidt – Memorial #157188096. Find A Grave, database and images (https://www.findagrave.com : accessed 29 July 2018), memorial page for Beatrice Marie Gleason Raidt (4 November 1896–7 March 1962), citing Saint Mary’s Cemetery, Minneapolis, Hennepin County, Minnesota, USA; Maintained by Matt (contributor 47205810).
- Irish Standard, Minneapolis, Minnesota – 1911-06-17, Page 5 (Beatrice Gleason). Accessed 17 June 2022. https://www.newspapers.com/image/610521466.
- Little Falls Herald (Little Falls, MN), com, 1920-10-22 – Page 4 – Gilbert Raidt & Beatrice Gleason.
- Minneapolis Star Tribune (Minneapolis, Minnesota), Internet, 1920-10-14 – Page 13 – Cathedral Candles and Autumn Leaves Setting for Wedding – Beatrice Gleason. https://www.newspapers.com/image/181524749/.
- Minneapolis Star, Minneapolis, Minnesota – 1932-10-10, page 4 – FUNERALS – Mrs. John M Gleason. The Minneapolis Star (Minneapolis, MN) 1932-10-10 – Funerals, Mrs. John M. Gleason [Addie Raymond] -. https://www.newspapers.com/image/187350072.
- Minneapolis Star, Minneapolis, Minnesota – 1962-03â€ “08, page 49 – Obits – Mrs. Beatrice G Raidt. https://Newspapers.com.
- Minnesota Births and Christenings, 1840-1980, Family Search, Addie Beatrice Gleason, 1896 – No Image. Addie Beatrice Gleason, 4 November 1896 (accessed 17 June 2022). https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:FDSF-GJC.
- Minnesota Death Index, 1908-2002 (Minneapolis, Minnesota Department of Health), Family Search, Beatrice G Raidt (née Raymond). Accessed 17 June 2022 – Beatrice G. Raidt, 7 March 1962; Ancestry; citing Hennepin, Minnesota, record 1494631, certificate number 023149, Minnesota Department of Health, Minneapolis. https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:V4ZW-HRD.
- Minnesota Deaths, 1887-2001, Family Search, Death – Robert R Raide – 25 March 1955 – No Image. Accessed 17 June 2022 – citing Death, Minnesota State Department of Health, St. Paul. https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:W532-9HT2.
- Minnesota Official Marriage System (https://moms.mn.gov/, ), MN.GOV, Gilbert F Raidt & Beatrice Gleason.
- Minnesota State Census, 1905, Family Search, Addie B Gleason – Minneapolis Ward 7, Hennepin County, Minnesota. Addie B Gleason, Minneapolis, Ward Number: 07, Hennepin, Minnesota; citing p. 171, line 2, State Library and Records Service, St.Paul; FHL microfilm 928,785. https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:SP39-PBN.
- Minnesota, Death Records, and Certificates, 1900-1955, Family Search, Death – Robert R Raidt – 25 March 1955 – No Image. (Accessed 17 June 2022. https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:FD6H-XPP.
- S., City Directories, 1822-1995, Ancestry.Com, Minneapolis, Minnesota – 1938 – Gilbert F Raidt. https://www.ancestry.com/discoveryui-content/view/1018568082:2469.
- S., Social Security Applications and Claims Index, 1936-2007, Jerome Gilbert Raidt (1924-1994).
- S., World War II Draft Registration Cards, 1942, Ancestry.Com, Gilbert Frank Raidt – 25 April 1942.
- University of Minnesota – Umedia – The Gopher 33, 1920 – https://umedia.lib.umn.edu/item/p16022coll339:22861
[i] Minnesota Births and Christenings, 1840-1980, Family Search, Addie Beatrice Gleason, 1896 – No Image. Addie Beatrice Gleason, 4 Nov 1896 (accessed 17 Jun 2022). https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:FDSF-GJC.
[ii] Possibly Fidella.