Following Descendants of Nathan Smith & Belinda (Odell) Morgan – Samson Green Morgan
By Don Taylor
My half-sister Glennis is a DNA match on Ancestry.Com with several individuals who have common ancestors with Nathan Smith Morgan and his wife, Belinda [sometimes Malinda Odell. In the search to determine Glennis’ biological father, I am continuing to develop a tree of the descendants of Nathan and Belinda.
Descendants of Nathan and Belinda (Odell) Morgan I have examined:
- John Wesley and Oelia T. (Maxwell) Morgan.
- Francis Marion and Fannie (McGreggor) Morgan.
- Sanford/Sansom/Samson Morgan.[i]
3. Descendants of Samson Green and Marybell (Hartley) Morgan
|1.||Elizabeth Leota Morgan||Married John William Galloway||1 Known child.|
|1.1.||Mary Bertha Galloway|
|1.1.1||Mary Leota McClellan||Married Clyde Bennett||One child, Boy born 1931. Possible but Unlikely|
|1.1.2||Bertha E McClellan||Married Thomas Gill||No children until 1937.|
|1.1.3||Chester L. McClellan, Jr||Single in 1940|
|2.||Liddie Morgan||Died at age 4|
3.Descendants of Samson Green and Harriet A (McHenry) Morgan
|3.||Elvira Jane Morgan||Married Sheridan Hardman||Four Children|
|3.1.||Clarence R Hardman||Died in 1916.|
|3.2.||Bessie Levalda Hardman||Married Calvin Ezekiel Braden||Four Children|
|3.2.1.||Leota P Braden||Married in 1942|
|3.2.2.||Boy[ii] Braden||Born 1921||Not a Candidate|
|3.2.3||Boy Braden||Born 1923||Not a Candidate|
|3.2.4||Boy Braden||Born 1926||Possible but unlikely|
|3.3.||Earl S Hardman||Married Osa Jane Dawson||1 child|
|3.3.1.||Velda Faye Hardman||Born 1915||1 child|
|220.127.116.11||Girl[ii] Pratt||Female||Not Considered|
|3.3.2.||Girl Hardman||Born 1919||Not Considered|
|3.3.3.||Boy Hardman||Born 1921||Not a Candidate|
|3.3.4.||Girl Hardman||Born 1925||Not Considered|
|3.3.6.||Girl Hardman||Born 1927||Not Considered|
|3.3.7.||Osa Earline Hardman||Died as infant.|
|3.4.||Jessie D. Hardman||Married Robert Lee Barker||1 Child|
|3.4.1.||Gladys Geraldine Barker||1917||Not Considered.|
|4.||John E. Morgan||Died 1897, Single|
|5.||Homer Martin Morgan||Married Susan Nora Selman||2 children|
|5.1.||Arthur Edwin Morgan||Married Josephine Frances Leroy||No Children before 1940.|
|5.2.||Flossie Mae Morgan||Married Byrd Russel Johnson||3 Children|
|5.2.1.||Betty Jean Johnson||Born 1926||Not Considered.|
|5.2.2.||Margaret E Johnson||Born 1930||Not Considered.|
|5.2.3.||FNW Johnson||Born 1936||Not Considered.|
|6.||Flora Alice Morgan||Married Perry Albert Deem||5 Children|
|6.1.||John Emery Deem||Died 1920 at age 22|
|6.2.||Ethel Ann Deem||Married Clemence Sylvester Schilling||8 Children|
|6.2.1.||FNW Schilling||Born 1923||Not Considered|
|6.2.2.||Martha Ann Schilling||Born 1925||Not Considered|
|6.2.3.||Mary A Schilling||Born 1927||Not Considered|
|6.2.4.||Clarence F Schilling||Born 1929-1930||Possible, but Unlikely|
|6.2.5.||Francis J Schilling||Born 1931-1932||Possible, but Unlikely|
|6.2.6.||William G Schilling||Born 1934-1935||Possible, but Unlikely|
|6.2.7.||FNW Schilling||Born 1936||Not Considered|
|6.2.8.||FNW Schilling (Male)||Born 1938-1939||Not a Candidate|
|6.3.||Samson Earl Deem||Married Naomi Hemsworth 1922||5 Children|
|6.3.1.||Margaret Deem||Born 1923||Not Considered|
|6.3.2.||Earl Deem||Born 1924||Not a Candidate|
|6.3.3.||William J Deem||Born 1925||Possible but Unlikely|
|6.3.4.||Betty Lou Deem||Born 1927||Not Considered|
|6.3.5.||Robert Deem||Born 1929||Possible but Unlikely|
|6.3.6||Alice Frances Deem||Born 1933||Not Considered|
|6.3.7||Naretta Deem||Born 1938||Not Considered|
|6.4.||Opal Justine Deem||Married Austin Markel Cranston 1935||Not Considered|
|6.5.||Delbert Buel Deem||Born 1914||Not a Candidate|
|7.||Lura A Morgan||Married Dexter P Bailey 1892.||4 Children|
|7.1||Arthur G Bailey||Married Hazel Hendrick||1 child|
|7.1.2||Lura Jane Bailey||Born 1918||Not Considered|
|7.2||Hazel C. Bailey||Married David William O’Brien||No apparent issue.|
|7.3||Willis Bailey||Married Ethel ___ v. 1925||1 Child|
|7.3.1||Girl Bailey||Born 1927||Not Considered|
|7.4||Mildred Bailey||Married Ernest L. Barnes||3 children|
|7.4.1||Boy Barnes||Born 1928||Possible but Unlikely|
|7.4.2||Boy Barnes||Born 1930||Possible but Unlikely|
|7.4.3||Girl Barnes||Born 1933||Not Considered|
There don’t appear to be any likely candidates from the descendants of Samson green Morgan. There were nine males that were “Possible but Unlikely.” All of the Descendants of Samson Green Morgan appear to have remained in the West Virginia and Ohio area. None seem to have moved until at least after World War II.
Further investigate the 9 “possible but unlikely” individuals if other candidates do not arise.
Note/– My Criteria:
- “Candidates” are males born between 1925 and 1935.
- “Not considered” are females who are unlikely to have had a male child between 1925 and 1935.
- “Not a Candidate” are males born between 1915 and 1925 as being too young to have had a son between 1925 and 1935 and too old to be a candidate.
- “Possible but unlikely” are males born between 1925 and 1935, but are not named Paul or Phil, which are the likely names of Glennis’ biological father, or otherwise don’t appear to fit the likely candidate who would have been in Minnesota or Michigan in 1953. I will revisit these possibilities later of this project fails to find a potential candidate.
This is a quickly developed “notional” tree and does not have the indepth sourcing attached to the findings that I typically follow. I di have supporting documents regarding much of Samson Green Morgan and his descendants. All records used were found at the following sites:
- Family Search
- Find a Grave
- Genealogy Bank
For specific sources, please contact me.
- [i] I’m pretty well convinced that Sanford, Sansom, and Samson are the same person. I believe that Sanford and Sansom were errors by the individuals who wrote what they think they heard. In any event, I am using Samson unless I have a compelling reason to use something else.
- [ii] I used “Boy” and “Girl” for living individuals born since 1918 because they are possibly living.