Extract by Don Taylor – 9 Jan 2017
It is always really nice when you find a document that confirms key vital facts. The “Arrears of Widow’s Pension” used to determine the payment provides birthdates and a confirmation date indicating the date one day before the individual’s 16th birthday. Great confirmation of the information to assure I’m not reading a birthdate incorrectly.
ARREARS OF WIDOW’S PENSION
ACT OF JUNE 7, 1888
Pensioner: Patience A Roberts -Soldier: Asa Roberts
P.O. Benton – Rank Pvt Co. “I.”
County Franklin, State Ills – Regiment 31st Ills, Vol. Inf.
Allow arrears of pensions at the rate of $12- per munch from Oct 9, 1889, and ending Oct 30, 1887….
and two dollars a month additional for each child, as follows:
- Charles W Born Jul 5, 1873, Sixteen July 4, 1889
- Rosa D. Born May 26, 1875, Sixteen, May 25, 1891
- Florence E Born Jan 21, 1880, Sixteen, Jan 20, 1896
- Hugh E Born July 2, 1884, Sixteen, Jul 1, 1900
Was pensioned May 29, 1899, at $12 per month from Oct 31, 1887, and $2 for each child stated above.
Submitted for Allowance Nov. 12, 1888
W L. White
Approved Nov 15, 1888, Approved Nov. 17, 1888
- Asa was a private in Company I, 31st Illinois Volunteer Infantry
- Patrice A. Roberts was living in Benton, Franklin County, Illinois in November 1888.
- Charles W. [Roberts] was born on July 5, 1873, and was living in November 1888.
- Rosa D. [Roberts] was born on May 26, 1875, and was living in November 1888.
- Florence E. [Roberts] was born on Jan 21, 1880, and was living in November 1888.
- Hugh E [Roberts] was born on July 2, 1884, and was living in November 1888.