Don Taylor’s – Kentucky Research Toolkit
Review information on Wikipedia for the Commonwealth of Kentucky, particularly history during the period to be researched. Look carefully at the List of Counties to be examined to see when and where they came into being. Also, look at:
Step 1 – Confirm using the initial sources.
- Family Search
- Catalog – Kentucky (and add counties as appropriate)
- $$ Ancestry
- Ancestry Card Catalog – Kentucky
- $$ Newspapers
- $$ Genealogy Bank
- $$ Newspaper Archive
- $$ American Ancestors
- Find a Grave
- Elephind – Searches Chronicling America (Kentucky) and the Newspaper collections from several states. Also see “Getting the most from CA.”
- Hathi Trust Digital Library – Kentucky
- Internet Archive
- Randy Majors Ancestor Search (Google Search)
- Google Books
- Family Search
Step 3a – My Top – Non-Paid Kentucky Sites[i]
- UKY Explore UK (University of Kentucky)
- KDLA Kentucky Dept. for Libraries & Archives – Researchers
- KDL Kentucky Digital Library
- KHS Kentucky Historical Society (Est. 1836)
- KY.GOV Kentucky State Digital Archives
- UofL University of Louisville – University Libraries Digital Collections
- KYGENWEB Kentucky Gen Web
- NARA Atlanta
Step 3b – My Top Paid Kentucky Sites
- $$- Kentucky Pioneers – $195/year for 8 Genealogy Websites (Alabama, Georgia, Kentucky, North Carolina, South Carolina, Tennessee, and Virginia).
Step 3c – Other Kentucky Sites worth checking
Step 3d – Kentucky County Links – List of Counties
- Dive into individual county records, historical societies, etc.
Step 3e – Time-based Sites
Step 4 – Aggregate sites – One last look for any websites missed.
[i] Note: Many of these sites may have been examined during earlier steps.