By Don Taylor
Freke W Hingston was born on 29 October 1859 in Ireland, the son of Ellen and William. He immigrated to the United States in July 1879. He married Annie Smythe on 2 September 1884 in Peabody, Massachusetts. Freke and Annie had six children in 11 years. He died on 2 January 1899 in Peabody, Massachusetts, and was buried there at the age of 39.
Bradley-Hingston – Ancestor #12
List of Grandparents
- Grandfather: William Robert Hingston (1889-1954)
- 1st Great-grandfather: Freke W. Hingston (1859-1899)
- 2nd Great-grandfather: William Hingston (___-___)
Freke W. Hingston (1859-1899)
Freke was born in County Cork, Ireland, on 29 October 1859, to William and Ellen (Wolfe) Hingston.
The 19-year-old Freke immigrated to the United States, arriving in New York on 15 July 1879. 1879 was the second year of the Irish “Mini-famine” of 1878-1880. In Ireland, the potato harvest was significantly reduced and the peat and cereal crops were too wet to Harvest.
Freke married Annie Smyth (or Smith) on 2 September 1884 in Peabody, Essex County, Massachusetts.
The six children of Freke W. and Annie (Smyth) Hingston.
|Mary Ellen||7 October 1884||Martin Joseph Quinlan||July 1969|
|(No Name)||11 March 1888||n/a||Stillborn|
|William Robert||29 January 1889||Florence Reid||8 February 1954|
|James Edward||6 July 1890||9 April 1913|
|Joseph Freke||19 November 1894||16 November 1976|
|Florence Louise||5 August 1896||FNU Atwood||2 August 1948|
All children were born and died in Peabody, MA.
Freke filed his intention to become a US Citizen in Essex County, MA, on 28 September 1886 and became a citizen on 3 October 1888. He worked as a bleacher.
The Massachusetts Death Records indicates he died on 2 January 1899 at 40 years of age, one month, and 17 days, suggesting his birth was either 15 or 16 November 1858. Freke W. Hingston is buried at Cedar Grove Cemetery, Peabody, Massachusetts.
The following names and dates are on his Family Marker:
|1858||Freke W. Hingston||1899||Self|
|1960||Anne S. Hingston||1912||Wife|
|1890||James E. Hingston||1913||Son|
|1879||Martin J Quinlan||1951||Son-in-law|
|1884||Mary Ellen Quinlan||1969||Daughter|
|1920||Lawrence M Quinlan||1989||Grandson.|
Freke’s marker and his Death Record indicate he was born in 1858. However, his naturalization record indicates his birthdate as 29 October 1859. Because the naturalization records were seen by Freke and signed as accurate by him, I accept the 29 October date as the most accurate.
Although Freke arrived in the United States in 1879, I have been unable to find anyone with the Hingston (or Kingston) surname that appears to be Freke in the 1880 Census. When I research his father, hopefully, I will encounter him and, possibly siblings, in other records.
Events by Location
Ireland 1859 (Birth)
New York, New York 1879 (Immigration)
Massachusetts, Essex, Peabody 1884 thru 1899 (Marriage, residence, death, & burial)
- Find a Grave Memorial, Find a Grave, Freke W. Hingston – Memorial 222462334. Find a Grave, database and images (https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/222462334/freke-w-hingston: accessed 25 December 2021), memorial page for Freke W. Hingston (1858–2 January 1899), Find a Grave Memorial ID 222462334, citing Cedar Grove Cemetery, Peabody, Essex County, Massachusetts, USA; Maintained by Thomas F. Scully (contributor 46818179).
- Massachusetts Births, 1841-1915, Family Search, Florence Louise Hingston – 5 August 1896. “Massachusetts Births, 1841-1915,” database with images, FamilySearch (https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:FXXZ-4JJ: 20 February 2021), Florence Louise Hingston, 5 August 1896, Peabody, Massachusetts; citing reference ID #Vol. 457, Page 539, Massachusetts Archives, Boston; FHL microfilm 1,843,692.
- “Massachusetts Deaths, 1841-1915, 1921-1924,” database with images, FamilySearch (https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:N71W-B96: 2 March 2021), Freke W. Hingston, 2 January 1899; citing Peabody, Massachusetts, v 492 p 611, State Archives, Boston; FHL microfilm 961,528.
- Massachusetts Marriages, 1841-1915, Family Search, Freke Hingston – Annie Smith – 2 September 1884. “Massachusetts Marriages, 1841-1915,” database with images, FamilySearch (https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:NWYV-2HT: 10 March 2021), Freke Hingston and Annie Smith, 2 September 1884; citing Peabody, Essex, Massachusetts, United States, State Archives, Boston; FHL microfilm 1,432,997.
- “Massachusetts Marriages, 18411915,” database with images, FamilySearch (https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:N46B91L: 18 January 2018), William R Hingston and Florence Reid, 24 February 1914; citing Peabody, Essex, Massachusetts, United States, State Archives, Boston; FHL microfilm 2,409,947.
- Massachusetts, State and Federal Naturalization Records, 1798-1950, Ancestry.Com, Freke Hingston. First District Court, Essex County, Salem Petitions For Naturalization, V 3, No 4692-1xv3, 1886-1889.
- Massachusetts: Vital Records, 1841-1910, American Ancestors, Line 111 – William Robert Hingston – Freke & Annie – Occupation Bleacher Ireland She was born in England. Massachusetts: Vital Records, 1841-1910. (From original records held by the Massachusetts Archives. Online database: AmericanAncestors.org, New England Massachusetts: Vital Records, 1841-1910 Historic Genealogical Society, 2004.) Accessed 2018-03-14. https://www.americanancestors.org/DB191/i/10729/367/122175087.
- Massachusetts: Vital Records, 1841-1910, American Ancestors, Line 249 – Joseph Freke Hingston – Birth. Massachusetts: Vital Records, 1841-1910. (From original records held by the Massachusetts Archives. Online database: AmericanAncestors.org, New England Historic Genealogical Society, 2004.). https://www.americanancestors.org/DB191/rd/9558/514/122792283.
- The United States, New England Petitions for Naturalization Index, 1791-1906, Family Search, Freke W Hingston. Accessed 3/14/2018. https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:VXRM-SYV.
 Wikipedia – “1879 in Ireland.” https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1879_in_Ireland