Darling – McAllister – Bell
By Don Taylor
I often have difficulties researching ancestors who lived in Europe. Hannah is no exception. She was born, lived and died all within 50 miles of Workington, England. I am not 100% confident that all of these facts are correct or that the sources are actually for Hannah, but I have spent much time looking for alternatives to this story without success.
Darling Research – Ancestor #53
List of Grandparents
- Grandfather: Robert Harry Darling(1907-1969)
- 1st Great-grandmother: Hannah McAllisterDarling White (1886-1913)
- 2nd Great-grandfather: Peter McAllister(1852-1941)
- 3rd Great-grandmother: Hannah Bell (c. 1822-1878)
- 4th Great-grandfather: Jonathan Bell (c. 1801-____)
Hannah Bell (c. 1822-1878)
The date of Hannah’s birth is unknown; however, she was born in Workington, Cumberland county, England. However, we know she was baptized on 9 March 1823 at St. Michael’s Church in Workington, Cumberland County, England. It appears that she was the oldest of at least four children born to Jonathan and Margaret Bell.
Her siblings include a brother and two sisters.
- Charles born 1824-1825
- Mary born 1826-1827
- Jane Born July-Sept. 1837
There wasn’t an 1831 England census and I have been unable to find anything regarding Hannah before the 1841 Census. In it, Hannah is living with her father and (implied) three siblings, Charles, Mary, & Jane. Hannah’s mother, Margaret, is not in the household and is not found in any other records, so I’m sure that she died sometime between 1837 and 1841.
On 08 Nov 1845, Hannah married Joseph McAllister in Cockermouth, Cumberland, England. Hannah and Joseph had three children.
- Margaret Mcallister – Born 19 Oct 1846 – Died 12 Dec 1848
- Joseph McAllister – Born in 1848 – died ____
- Peter McAllister – Born 12 Feb 1852 Died 16 Jan 1941.
The 1851 Census finds Joseph and Hannah living at 60 Maine Street, Cockermouth, Cumberland, England, along with their son Joseph. An Ann Calbeck is living with them; she is a 61 year old visitor.
The couple moved to Workington by February 1852, as Peter was born there and not in Cockermouth.
Tragedy struck in the fall of 1855 when Hannah’s husband, Joseph, died.
On 04 Nov 1855, Hannah married Charles Mayholland (Mulholland) in Workington, Cumberland, England. Hannah and Charles had three children.
- Hannah Mulholland – 11 May 1856 – died 25 May 1856.
- Charles Mulholland – Born c. 1859 – died ____
- John Mulholland – Born c. 1862 – died ____
The 1861 Census finds the Charles Mayholland family living at 148 Bell St., Workington. Charles is a sawyer. Nine-year-old Peter is using the surname of Mayholland (instead of McAllister). Also, in the household is the couple’s oldest son together, Charles.
The 1871 Census finds the Charles Mulholand household living at 23 Bell St. Workington. I can’t tell if they moved or if the streets were renumbered. In any event, the household consisted of Charles, Hannah, and their son John, who was 8 years old. Charles is a Cir (Circular?) Sawyer.
Death & Burial
Hannah died on 19 September 1878 at home (23 Hill Street, Workington) at the age of 55 after a long 2-year battle with cancer of the uterus.
Events by Location
- Arthuret, Cumberland, England 1841 (Census)
- Cockermouth, Cumberland, England 1845; 1851; (Marriage #1 & Census)
- Whitehaven, Cumberland, England 1922? (Birth)
- Workington, Cumberland, England 1923; (Baptism)
1852, 1855, 1861, 1871. (Birth of Peter,
Marriage to Charles, & 2 Censuses)
Further Actions / Follow-up
- Await receipt of Hannah’s death record then incorporate.
- Find out where 23 and 148 Bell Street in Workington are today.
– – – – – Disclaimer – – – – –
The ads and some of the links on this website are “affiliate links.” If you purchase after clicking on them, I will receive a small commission which will help me pay for this site. Please see my Disclaimer Page for more information.
- 1841 Census – England and Wales Census, 1841, Family Search, Jonathan Bell – Arthur, Longtown, Cumberland – Image at Family History Center. “England and Wales Census, 1841,” database with images, FamilySearch (https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:M VXC : 28 May 2019), Jonathan Bell, Arthuret, Cumberland, England, United Kingdom; from “1841 England, Scotland and Wales census,” database and images, findmypast (http://www.findmypast.com : n.d.); citing PRO HO 107, The National Archives, Kew, Surrey. . https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:M73F-VXC.
- 1851 England Census, Ancestry, Joseph Allinson [McAllister] Cockermouth, Cumberland, England. Class: HO107; Piece: 2434; Folio: 483; Page: 15; GSU roll: 87114. https://search.ancestry.com/collections/8860/records/15194542.
- 1861 England Census, Ancestry, Charles Mayholland – Workington, Cumberland. Class: RG 9; Piece: 3939; Folio: 42; Page: 21; GSU roll: 543210 Source Information com. 1861 England Census [database on-line]. Provo, UT, USA: https://prf.hn/click/camref:1101l4wD7/creativeref:1101l27800 Operations Inc, 2005. Original data: Census Returns of England and Wales, 1861. Kew, Surrey, England: The National Archives of the UK (TNA): Public Record Oice (PRO), 1861. Data imaged from The National Archives, London, England. The National Archives gives no warranty as to the accuracy, completeness or fitness for the purpose of the information provided. Images may be used only for purposes of research, private study or education. Applications for any other use should be made to The National Archives, Kew, Richmond, Surrey TW9 4DU. https://search.ancestry.com/collections/8767/records/15093372.
- 1871 England Census, Ancestry, Charles Mullholand Head – Workington, Cumberland, England. The National Archives; Kew, London, England; 1871 England Census; Class: RG10; Piece: 5243; Folio: 56; Page: 39; GSU roll: 847446. Source Information com. 1871 England Census [database on-line]. Provo, UT, USA: Ancestry.com Operations Inc, 2004.
- England & Wales, Civil Registration Death Index, 1837-1915, Ancestry, Hannah Mullholland – Jul-Aug-Sep 1878. (No Image). FreeBMD. England & Wales, Civil Registration Death Index, 1837-1915 [database on-line]. Provo, UT, USA: Ancestry.com Operations Inc, 2006. https://search.ancestry.com/collections/8914/records/24120302.
- England & Wales, Civil Registration Marriage Index, 1837-1915, Ancestry, Marriage – Joseph McAlister [McAllister] and Hannah Bell – Oct-Nov-Dec 1845. FreeBMD. England & Wales, Civil Registration Marriage Index, 1837-1915 [database on-line]. Provo, UT, USA: com Operations Inc, 2006. Original data: General Register Office. England and Wales Civil Registration Indexes. London, England: General Register Office. © Crown copyright. Published by permission of the Controller of HMSO and the Office for National Statistics. You must not copy on, transfer or reproduce records without the prior permission of ONS. Database Copyright © 1998-2003 Graham Hart, Ben Laurie, Camilla von Massenbach and David Mayall.
- England Births and Christenings, 1538-1975, Family Search, Hannah Bell – 9 Mar 1823. “England Births and Christenings, 1538-1975,” database, FamilySearch (https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:JWF1-XQN : 11 February 2018, Margaret in entry for Hannah Bell, 09 Mar 1823); citing , index based upon data collected by the Genealogical Society of Utah, Salt Lake City; FHL microfilm 90,691, 90,692.
- GRO – Entry of Birth (HM Passport Office), General Register Office, Birth – Margaret McAllister – 1846 – Workington, Cumberland, England . Volume 25, Page 104, No 350. https://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/certificates/Login.asp.
- GRO – Entry of Birth (HM Passport Office), General Register Office, Peter McAllister – Cockermouth – Workington – 1852 Birth in district of Workington in the county of Cumberland County, England. Line 498 – Twelth February 1852 High Church Street Workington.
- GRO – Entry of Marriage (HM Passport Office, ), General Register Office, 1845 Marriage – Joseph McAlister & Hannah Bell – (McAllister). General Register Office – Marriage Certificates – 1845, Quarter D, Volume 25, Page 111.
- GRO – Entry of Marriage (HM Passport Office), General Register Office, 1855 Marriage – Charles Mayholland & Hanna [Bell] McAllister. General Register Office – Marriage Certificates – 466, Quarter D, Volume 10B, Page 646.
GRO – Entry of Death, General Register Office, Hannah Mullholland – 1878 Sep Qtr – Cockermouth, Vol B, Page 351, Line 35.
 The 1851 Census indicates that Hannah was born in Whitehaven, a town about 8 miles down the coast from Workington. All the other census and records indicate she was born in Workington.