By Don Taylor
In my look at the Mannin Family of Carter County during the 1880 Census, I discovered six families and 37 individuals. Continuing, I would expect to find five families during the 1870 Census. Meredith A. Mannin would be 14-years-old and would be expected to be with his parents.
A search for “Mannin” in Carter County, Kentucky, yielded six families who were enumerated in the county in 1880. All six were in Precinct 4; all were in Enumeration District 15, suggesting they all lived nearby each other. They were:
Enock Mannon (Enoch Mannin in 1880 Census) – Born c. 1822.
- Manuroa Mannon (Manerva in the 1880 Census) – Born c. 1822.
- Meredith Mannon (Age 24 in the 1880 Census) – Born c. 1851.
- Mary Mannon – Born c. 1854.
- Gazzeller Mannon – Born c. 1854.
- Prudence Mannon – Born c. 1854.
Isaac Mannin – I have not been successful in finding Isaac, Tennessee, or Samuel McKee Mannin in the 1870 Census. I would expect them to be 22, 22, and 2 years old, respectively.
Thomas Mannen – (Thomas H. Mannin in 1880 Census) – Born c. 1827.
- Rachal 1839
- Merideth 1854
- Sarah 1857
- John 1859
- Samuel 1861
- Mary 1863
- Zachariah 1865
There are two (implied) older children living in the household, Merideth, and Sarah. Sarah probably married out before the 1880 Census. Merideth, in this family, could be the same Meredith I’ve previously ascribed as the son of Enoch. I will need to look at the two Meredith more carefully and figure out which Meredith married whom and had which children.
Tubil Mannan (Tubal Mannin in 1880 Census) – Born c. 1831.
- Elizabeth Mannan – Born c. 1834, VA.
- Mary Mannan – Born c. 1854.
- Martha Mannan – Born c. 1856.
- John Mannan – Born c. 1858.
- Vanlandingham Mannan – Born c. 1862.
- James Mannon – Born c. 1864.
- Sarah Mannon – Born c. 1868.
Two daughters, Mary & Martha, probably “married out” between the 1870 and 1880 censuses.
Wm C Manning – (Mannin in 1880 Census) – Born ca. 1846.
- Martha E Mannin Born c. 1850
- Alvin Mannin Age 10/12 (Born Aug 1869)
The family was living in Pendleton County, Kentucky, which is about 30 miles south of Cincinnati and about a hundred miles west of Carter County. That means the William C. Manning family moved from west to east between 1870 and 1880.
I discovered one new individual, Merideth Mannin. Living with him was a Richardson family consisting of a husband and wife with three children and three additional teenagers. One is likely the sister of James Richardson (based on age and surname); the other two were Ruben and Evaline Tapp.
Look at the two Meredith Mannins in the 1870 Census more carefully and figure out which Meredith married whom and had which children.
The 1870 Census didn’t provide any real clarity to understanding the Mannin families of mid 19th century Carter County. It did lead to other questions about which of two Meredith Mannin’s was the one enumerated in the 1880 Census.
- 1870 Census (NARA), 1870 – Enock Mannon – Grayson, Carter, Kentucky – Page 10. Year: 1870; Census Place: Precinct 4, Carter, Kentucky; Roll M593_454; Page: 131B; Image: 266; Family History Library Film: 545953. http://search.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/sse.dll?h=17854241&db=1870usfedcen&indiv=1.
- 1870 Census (NARA), 1870 – Thomas Mannen. “United States Census, 1870”, database with images, FamilySearch (https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:MX75-MTZ : 18 March 2020), Entry for Thomas Mannen, 1870.
- 1870 Census (NARA), 1870 – Tubil Mannan. “United States Census, 1870”, database with images, FamilySearch (https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:MX75-M51 : 18 March 2020), Entry for Tubil Mannan, 1870.
- 1870 Census (NARA), 1870 – William C Manning – Pendleton, Kentucky. “United States Census, 1870”, database with images, FamilySearch (https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:MX4M-QB6 : 19 March 2020), Entry for Wm C Manning, 1870.