By Don Taylor
Gilbert Frank Raidt was born on 1 April 1894 in Minneapolis, Hennepin County, Minnesota, the sixth child of Frank H and Catherine Frances (Justin) Raidt. He had five siblings: Baby Boy, Sarina Frances, Stella Catherine, Lucy Helen, and Baby Boy 2. He died on 8 July 1974 in Minneapolis, Minnesota. When he was 26, he married Beatrice Marie Gleason, daughter of John M. and Addie (Raymond) Gleason, on 13 October 1920 in Minneapolis, Minnesota, at the Holy Rosary Catholic Church. Rev. J. P. Valley performed the ceremony.
List of Grandparents
- Grandfather: Jerome Gilbert Raidt (1924-1994)
- 1st Great-grandfather: Gilbert Frank Raidt (1894-1974)
- 2nd Great-grandfather: Frank H. Raidt (1851-1931)
- 3rd Great-grandfather: Thomas Raidt (c. 1816-____)
Gilbert Frank Raidt (1894-1974)
Gilbert Frank Raidt was born on 1 April 1894 in Minneapolis, Minnesota. Although he was the sixth child of Frank H and Catherine Frances (Justin) Raidt, his two brothers died before he was born, so he grew up as the youngest of four children.
Other children of Frank H and Catherine Frances (Justin) Raidt
|(Baby boy)||Before 1884||N/A||Before 1886|
|Sarina “Rena” Frances||1884||[TBD]|
|Stella Catherine||1887||John Timon Leavin||1962|
|Lucy Helen||1889||Charles Nagle [?]||1971|
|(Baby boy)||c. 1891||N/A||Before 1893|
During the 1895 Minnesota Census, Gilbert was living with his parents at 1621 11th Ave. So., Minneapolis. By 1900 the family had moved to 1949 Oliver Ave., No., Minneapolis. By 1905, the family moved again, this time to 1623 Dupont Ave. North, Minneapolis, where he would live until he married in 1920. Gilbert probably attended St. Thomas College in St. Paul at this time.
Gilbert enlisted in the US Army on 19 May 1917, Shortly after the United States entered World War I (on 6 April 1917). He remained stateside for his first year in the service. But on 19 September 1918, he shipped out aboard the “Empress of Asia[i]” heading to Europe (Liverpool) to be part of the Headquarters Troop, 86th Infantry Division. He returned and became part of the 311 Fire Truck and Hose Co. Gilbert was discharged on 24 August 1919 as a Sargent.
Gilbert Frank Raidt married Beatrice Marie Gleason on 13 October 1920. After their honeymoon, they lived at 1724 Third Ave. So. They had six children, all born in Minneapolis.
Gilbert and Beatrice purchased a home at 4215 Stevens, Minneapolis, and Gilbert worked as a Building Contractor throughout his married life.
In 1942, Gilbert registered for the draft. He was described as being 5’10”, 175 lbs, blue eyes, brown hair, and a light complexion.
Gilbert died on 8 July 1974 in Minneapolis, Hennepin County, Minnesota. He was buried at St. Mary’s Cemetery in Minneapolis.
- Research Sarina “Rena” Frances and determine if she ever married and when she died.
- Confirm Lucy Helen’s husband was Charles Nagle.
- Research Gilbert’s military service more. Did the 86th Infantry Division see action? Was the 311 Fire and Hose company stateside or overseas?
Events by Location
- England, Liverpool 1918 – US Army Service
- Illinois, Winnebago, Camp Grant 1917-1918 – US Army Service
- Minnesota, Hennepin County, Minneapolis Birth, 1900-1940, Death
- Minnesota, Ramsey County, St. Paul c. 1917 – College
- New Jersey, Hoboken 1918 – US Army Service
[i] The Empress of Asia was built in Govan, Scotland, and launched in 1912. According to Wikipedia, “On 9 September 1918, Empress of Asia set sail from Hoboken, NJ bound for Liverpool carrying troops from the 86th Infantry Division’s 331st Machine Gun Battalion, 311th Engineer Regiment and 311th Engineer Train. She arrived safely on 21 September 1918.
- 1900 Census, Various, Frank H Raidt – Minneapolis, Hennepin, Minnesota, Sheet 24A. https://www.ancestry.com/discoveryui-content/view/93073807:7602.
- 1910 Census (NARA), Family Search, F H Raidt – Minneapolis, Hennepin, Minnesota. https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:M2G7-Z2N.
- 1920 Census (NARA), Family Search, Frank Raidt – Hennepin, Minnesota. https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:MWYX-CDZ.
- 1930 Census (NARA), Family Search, Gilbert F Raidt, Minneapolis, Hennepin, Minnesota. https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:X3ZB-WJN.
- 1930; Census Place: Minneapolis, Hennepin, Minnesota.
- 1940 Census (NARA), Family Search, Gilbert Raidt – Minneapolis, Hennepin, Minnesota/ https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:KSKD-7MG.
- Correspondence with Jerome G. Raidt – 1970s – Questionaire Answers. In the mid-1970s, I asked Mary Elizabeth Raidt’s father, Jerome G. Raidt, a series of genealogical questions. His response to those questions.
- Find a Grave, Internet, Beatrice Marie Gleason Raidt – Memorial #157188096. Find A Grave, database and images (https://www.findagrave.com : accessed 29 July 2018), memorial page for Beatrice Marie Gleason Raidt (4 November 1896–7 March 1962),
- Find a Grave, Internet, Gilbert Frank Raidt – Memorial 157187764.
- Little Falls Herald (Little Falls, MN), Newspapers.com, 1920-10-22 – Page 4 – Gilbert Raidt & Beatrice Gleason.
- Minneapolis Star Tribune (Minneapolis, Minnesota), Internet, Beatrice Gleason – 1920-10-14 – Page 13 – Cathedral Candles and Autumn Leaves Setting for Wedding. https://www.newspapers.com/image/181524749/.
- Minnesota Death Index, 1908-2002 (Minneapolis, Minnesota Department of Health), Family Search, Gilbert F. Raidt (No Image). https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:V4CX-V8J.
- Minnesota Official Marriage System (https://moms.mn.gov/, ), MOMS.MN.GOV, Gilbert F Raidt & Beatrice Gleason.
- Minnesota State Census, 1895, Family Search, Frank Raidt – Hennepin County Minneapolis city, Ward 11 – Page 86, Line 2698.
- Minnesota State Census, 1905, Family Search, Frank H Raidt – Minneapolis Ward 3, Hennepin County, Minnesota. https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:SPSY-BX7.
- Minnesota, World War I Records, 1918-1941, Family Search, Gilbert Frank Raidt. https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:QRVL-3NPZ.
- Multiple, U.S., City Directories, 1822-1995, Ancestry.Com, Minneapolis, Minnesota – 1926 – Raidt. https://www.ancestry.com/imageviewer/collections/2469/images/14899304.
- Multiple, U.S., City Directories, 1822-1995, Ancestry.Com, Minneapolis, Minnesota – 1938 – Gilbert F Raidt. https://www.ancestry.com/discoveryui-content/view/1018568082:2469.
- S., Army Transport Service Arriving and Departing Passenger Lists, 1910-1939, Ancestry.Com, Gilbert F Raidt – Departure 19 September 1918.
- S., Department of Veterans Affairs BIRLS Death File, 1850-2010 (U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs), Ancestry.Com, Gilbert F. Raidt. https://www.ancestry.com/discoveryui-content/view/7635739:2441.
- S., Social Security Applications and Claims Index, 1936-2007.
- S., World War II Draft Registration Cards, 1942, Ancestry.Com, Gilbert Frank Raidt – 25 April 1942.
- United States Social Security Death Index, Family Search, (No Image) – Gilbert Raidt (1894-1974).