By Don Taylor
Marie G Hawley was born on 1 Apr 1895 in Minneapolis, Minnesota; her father, Joseph, was 39, and her mother, Odelie, was 38. She married John Willie Langford on 20 Jul 1918 in Hennepin County, Minnesota. They had three children during their marriage. She died on 11 Jul 1977 in Minneapolis at 82 and was buried there.
Taylor/Raidt – Ancestor #15
List of Grandparents
- 7 – Elenor Della Langford (1924-2019) – Grandmother
- 15 – Marie G Hawley (1895-1977) – 1st Great-grandmother
- 30 – Joseph Hawley – (1856-___) – 2nd Great-grandfather:
Marie G Hawley (1895-1977)
Marie was born on 1 Apr 1895 to Joseph and Odelie (Morin) Hawley in Minneapolis, Minnesota. She was the fourth of five children.
Children of Joseph and Odelie Hawley (Siblings)
|Rose Marie||Nov 1884||Arthur Justad||30 May 1945|
|Annie||Jul 1891||FNU Pearson||TBD|
|Marie G.||1 Apr 1895||John Willis Langford||11 Jul 1977|
|John E.||May 1900||?||TBD|
The 1900 Census found Marie living at home with her parents and four siblings. Her father, Joseph, was a carpenter who rented their house at 447 Adams. Five-year-old Marie hadn’t started school yet. Her mother, Odelie, reported she had had six children, but only five were still living.
The 1910 Census found the Hawley family renting a home at 308 Broadway. Her father is still a carpenter, and her 19-year-old sister, Odelea, works as a saleswoman in a dry goods store. Her older brother Joseph is working as a helper in a foundry. Fourteen-year-old Marie is attending school, as is her little brother, John.
On 20 Jul 1918, Marie and John Willie Langford were married in a ceremony performed by Father James Donahoe at the very new (its first mass was on 21 Nov 1915) St. Bridget Church in North Minneapolis.
Children of John and Marie (Hawley) Langford
|Bernard John||Feb 1919||Joan Kissinger||1945|
|Elizabeth Marie||(Fall) 1923||Thomas A Costello||2009|
|Eleanor Della||10 Apr 1924||Jerome G Raidt||2019|
The 1920 Census found Marie as a housewife with John supporting his family as a typesetter. The young family rented a home at 2526 Emerson Ave. So. Little Bernard was ten months old.
The 1930 Census found Marie and her family owning a home at 4119 Zane Ave. It was valued at $4,000. But by 1935 they had moved again. This time to their “forever” home at 3419 2nd Ave South.
The 1940 Census found Marie and John at 3419 2nd ave. With them are their three children. John is a printer and Bernard is a laborer at a street car company. The census shows they lived at the “same house” in 1935.
The 1950 Census and a 1958 Minneapolis City Directory indicate they were at 3419 2nd ave until then.
Before 1960, the couple had moved to 3151 Aldrich Ave. So., apt 4.
Marie died on 11 Jul 1977 in Minneapolis, Minnesota. She was buried at St. Mary’s Catholic Cemetery in South Minneapolis.
Events by Location
Minnesota, Hennepin County, Minneapolis – All life events for Marie (Hawley) Langford occurred in metropolitan Minneapolis.
Further Actions / Follow-up
- Determine death dates for Marie’s siblings, Annie, Joseph, and John.
- Determine if Joseph or John ever married.
- 1900 Census, Various, Joseph Halley. “United States Census, 1900,” database with images, FamilySearch (https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:M9SV-8T4 : accessed 22 February 2023), Joseph Halley, Election District 6 Minneapolis city Ward 9, Hennepin, Minnesota, United States; citing enumeration district (ED) 99, sheet 2A, family 30, NARA microfilm publication T623 (Washington, D.C.: National Archives and Records Administration, 1972.); FHL microfilm 1,240,769. https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:M9SV-8T4.
- 1910 Census (NARA), Family Search, Joseph Hawley – Line 25. “United States Census, 1910,” database with images, FamilySearch (https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:M2G3-WR9 : accessed 22 February 2023), Joseph Hawley, Minneapolis Ward 1, Hennepin, Minnesota, United States; citing enumeration district (ED) ED 19, sheet 3A, family 63, NARA microfilm publication T624 (Washington D.C.: National Archives and Records Administration, 1982), roll 700; FHL microfilm 1,374,713.
- 1920 Census (NARA), Family Search, John W Langford. “United States Census, 1920”, database with images, FamilySearch (https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:MWYL-HXV : 2 February 2021), John W Langford, 1920.
- 1930 Census (NARA), Family Search, 1930 – Henry [John W] Langford – Robbinsdale, MN.
- 1940 Census (NARA), Family Search, John Langford. 1940 Census – Minneapolis, MN – ED 89-145, Sheet 6B, Lines 52 through 56. https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:KSK7-VS5.
- 1950 Census, Ancestry.Com, 1950 – John W Langford. United States of America, Bureau of the Census; Washington, D.C.; Seventeenth Census of the United States, 1950; Record Group: Records of the Bureau of the Census, 1790-2007; Record Group Number: 29; Residence Date: 1950; Home in 1950: Minneapolis, Hennepin, Minnesota; Roll: 3852; Sheet Number: 16; Enumeration District: 89-841. https://www.ancestry.com/discoveryui-content/view/94300404:62308.
- Find a Grave, Internet, Marie G. Hawley Langford (1895-1977). Find a Grave, database and images (https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/95097219/marie-g-langford: accessed 22 February 2023), memorial page for Marie G. Hawley Langford (1 Apr 1895–11 Jul 1977), Find a Grave Memorial ID 95097219, citing St. Mary’s Catholic Cemetery, Minneapolis, Hennepin County, Minnesota, USA; Maintained by Robert Sullivan (contributor 47188471). https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/95097219/marie-g-langford.
- Hennepin County Marriage Licenses, Personal Files, John W Langford to Marie Hawley – 20 Jul 1918.
- Minneapolis Star – 1923-10-02, Page 8 – Births [Elizabeth Marie Langford], (https://newspapers.com).
- Minneapolis Star – 1945-06-02, Page 11 – Obit – Rose Marie Justad (Marie Hawley). https://www.newspapers.com/image/186801436.
- Minneapolis Star – 1951-05-28, Page 23 – Costello-Langford Vows Exchanged (Elizabeth Marie Langford) https://www.newspapers.com/image/187701093.
- Minneapolis Star dated 1940-08-11, Page 28 – Bernard J Langford & Joan Kissinger (https://newspapers.com).
- Minneapolis Star Tribune (Minneapolis, Minnesota, ), Internet, 1951-03-25 – Bette Marie Langford (Engaged to Thomas Austin Costello). https://www.newspapers.com/image/183625269.
- Minneapolis, Minnesota, online obituary – Eleanor Della (Langford) Raidt – Death: 19 Mar 2019., \i Gill Brothers Funeral Home (https://www.gillbrothers.com/memorials/Raidt-Eleanor/3777046/).
- Minnesota Births and Christenings, 1840-1980, Family Search, John Willie Langford – 2 Jan 1893 (No image).
- Minnesota Births and Christenings, 1840-1980, Family Search, Marie G Hawley.
- Minnesota Death Index, 1908-2002 (Minneapolis, Minnesota Department of Health), Family Search, Marie G Langford – 11 Jul 1977. “Minnesota Death Index, 1908-2002,” database, FamilySearch (https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:V4WS-4ZC : 4 December 2014), Marie G. Langford, 11 Jul 1977; from “Minnesota Death Index, 1908-2002,” database, Ancestry (http://www.ancestry.com : 2001); citing Hennepin, Minnesota, record 2682776, certificate number 017850, Minnesota Department of Health, Minneapolis. https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:V4WS-4ZC.
- Minnesota Official Marriage System (https://moms.mn.gov/, ), MOMS.MN.GOV, John W Langford – Marie Hawley – 02140289. https://moms.mn.gov/.
- Minnesota, Death Index, 1908-2017 (St. Paul, Minnesota, Minneasota Department of Health), Ancestry.Com, John W Langford (1893-1978) (No image). https://www.ancestry.com/sharing/30390137?h=d332ea.
- U.S., City Directories, 1822-1995, Ancestry.Com, Minneapolis, Minnesota – 1944 – Langford – Page 680. Accessed 16 Sep 2022.
- U.S., City Directories, 1822-1995, Ancestry.Com, Minneapolis, Minnesota – 1958 – John W & Marie G Langford. Page 770, Column 2. https://www.ancestry.com/sharing/1983258?mark=135c736adde0e7069334e9cb2c034d9bec1edaa9ab2f0e8ef1bdcae435cd05a0.
- U.S., City Directories, 1822-1995, Ancestry.Com, Minneapolis, Minnesota – 1960 – Langford – Page 829. Accessed 16 Sep 2022.
- U.S., Social Security Applications and Claims Index, 1936-2007, Jerome Gilbert Raidt (1924-1994).
- U.S., Social Security Death Index, Ancestry.Com, Marie Langford (1895-1977). https://www.ancestry.com/sharing/1983471?mark=be9f8e4d70f36587fc27bcfcc05b338046f0757be28117b798b2e23b9b9276fd.
- United States World War I Draft Registration Cards, 1917-1918, Family Search, John Willie Langford. “United States World War I Draft Registration Cards, 1917-1918”, database with images, FamilySearch (https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:K87L-91D : 24 December 2021), John Willie Langford, 1917-1918.
- Various, Correspondence, Personal Files, Raidt Christmas Letter – 1977-12-15.