Candelmo, Canedy, Cardamone, Carlson, & Carpenter
Ethel Wight Collection
By Don Taylor
This week for Photo Friday, I identify the people in five more envelopes from the Ethel Wight Studio Collection[i]. These envelopes contain the names who paid for the photos, not necessarily of the individual portrayed in the image. As such, it is vital to analyze the pictures and information to identify the individual therein.[ii] Ultimately, my goal is to reunite the photos with family members who may have never seen the image.
Mary Geraldine Carlson, circa 1935 (age 24)
The envelope this negative was in says, “Miss Geraldine Carlson, 75 Cumberland Ave, Portland, #207.”
- The 1930 Census enumerated Geraldine M Carlson living at 75 Cumberland Ave, Portland, with her parents, Michel J. Carlson and Mary E. Carlson. She was 19 years old, suggesting she was born about 1911.
- Mary Geraldine Carlson was born on 6 February 1911 in Portland to Michael John and Mary Elizabeth (Quinn) Carlson[iii].
Family Search did not have a profile for Mary Geraldine Carlson nor her parents on Family Search. However, I did find at least 8 Ancestry public trees that contain Mary Geraldine (Carlson) Martelle. I have uploaded this photo of Geraldine to Dead Fred, and I have uploaded a second photo to my Flickr Photostream.
Helen Angeline Cardamone, circa 1936 (age 17)
The envelope this negative was in says, “Miss Helen Cardamone, 12 Carlton Court, Portland, #1081.”
- The 1940 Census enumerated Helen Cardamone living at 12 Carlton Court with her parents, Salvatore and Lisa Cardamone. Helen was 21 years old and an entertainer.
- The 1936 Portland High School Yearbook shows Helen Angeline Cardamone as a senior that year. In her yearbook photo on Ancestry, she even appears to be wearing the same dress as in two of these photos.
Family Search did not have a profile for Helen or her parents, Salvatore and Lisa. I found one Ancestry tree which mentioned Helen Cardamone, born 12 October 1918. I have uploaded this photo of Helen to Dead Fred, and I have uploaded three more photos to my Flickr Photostream.
June Lillian Carpenter, circa 1937 (age 22)
This negative envelope says, “Miss June Carpenter, ME Gen Hospital, Portland, #514.”
- The 1937 Portland City Directory lists June Carpenter, a student nurse, at 22 Arsenal (Maine General Hospital).
- The 1938 Directory lists June as a nurse living at 13 Grant, Apt 5.
- The Maine Marriage Index indicates that June L. Carpenter married Henry S Hebb on 26 February 1938.
- Find a Grave shows June Lillian Carpenter, born 3 June 1915 and the wife of Henry Simpson Hebb.
Family Search identifies June Lillian Carpenter as ID LVPT-9JF. June about 1937, when she first became a nurse and before she married in 1938. I have uploaded two photos of her to her Family Search profile. June Lillian Carpenter is found in 17 Ancestry trees.
Dene Jillson Canedy, Circa 1934 (age 1)
The envelope this negative was in says, “Mrs. R. G. Canedy, 523 Brighton Ave, Portland, #462.”
- The 1936 Portland City Directory, which should include R. G. Canedy (Pages 195 through 199) is missing from the directory.
- The 1937 Portland City Directory indicates that Randolph G and Emily J Canedy lived at 57 Hartley.
- The 1938 Portland City Directory indicates that Randolph G and Emily J Canedy moved to Charlemont, Mass.
The 1940 US Census records Randolph and Emily Canedy with their six-year-old son, Dene Canedy, living in Charlemont, Mass. Dene Jillson Canedy was born on 15 October 1933 in Portland, Maine.
Family Search identifies Dene Jillson Canedy, born 15 October 1933, as ID LY6K-ZGK. . This image must be of Dene, probably at about a year old—c. 1934. I have uploaded a photo of him to his Family Search profile. Dene is also found in 12 Ancestry Public Trees.
Jeanette Candelmo, circa 1937 (age 4)
The envelope this negative was in says, “Mrs. Rebecca Candelmo, 97 Bickett St, Portland #741.”
- The 1935 Portland City Directory lists Dominic and Rebecca Candelmo living at 97 Beckett. Dominic was the proprietor at 243a Congress Street.
- The 1940 Census shows Dominic, Rebecca, and their two children, six-year-old Jeanette and three-year-old Philip, living at 243 Congress Street.
- Maine Marriage Index indicates that Jeanette Candelmo married <Name withheld> on 7 October 1956.
- Public records indicate that Jeanette Candelmo was born in September 1933.
This girl in this photo appears to be about four years old, indicating the picture is circa 1937.
Neither Jeannette nor her parents appear to have profiles on Family Search. However, Domenico and Rebecca (Dansky) Candelmo appear in 11 Ancestry trees.
It was a good week. I had:
- Two successful identifications I posted to Family Search
- Three successful identifications I posted to Dead Fred.
If any of these photos are of your family member, I would love to hear your reaction. Especially if this photo is of a loved one for whom you hadn’t seen this photograph before.
[i] The Wight Studio was in Portland, Maine. Many thanks to Ethel Wight’s family for access to and permission to use the collection of their great aunt.
[ii] These images were converted to positives using a lightbox, a Nikon camera and computer software.
[iii] Maine Birth Records, 1715-1922. Augusta, Maine: Maine State Archives. Maine Birth Records, 1715-1922, Maine State Archives, Augusta, Maine.