Ancestor Sketch – Welch-Harris Project
by Don Taylor
Francis Asbury Welch was born on 26 November 1887 in Kennebunkport, Maine. His father, Albert, was 40 and his mother, Harriet, was 25. He had four older siblings. He married Julia Anna Daley on 11 June 1917. Francis and Julia had three children during their marriage. He died in 1929 at the age of 42.
WH8 – Francis Asbury Welch (1887-1929)
List of Greats
- 1st Great-grandfather: 8 – Francis Asbury Welch (1887-1929)
- 2nd Great-grandfather: 16 – Albert Wesley Welch (1847-1920)[i]
Francis was born on 26 November 1887 in Kennebunkport, York County, Maine.[ii]. He had four, possibly five, older siblings.
Children of Albert Wesley and Harriet Marilla (Robinson) Welch*
|Helen May||Jul 1880||Frank N Woodman||1954|
|Albert Chester||Sep 1881||Eva||1956|
|Minnie Jeanette||Apr 1883||Harlan V Trafton||–|
|Emma Belle||Nov 1884||Robert A McFarland||1964|
|Francis Asbury||Nov 1887||Julia A Daley||1929|
|Herold Lester||Apr 1892||–||1960|
|William Robinson||Jun 1894||–||1950|
|LeForest Welch||Apr 1896||–||1984|
*Note: The 1900 Census indicates that Harriett had ten children, eight of whom were living. Based on the children’s age gaps, one was probably born about 1886 and the other about 1890. Both died before 1900. Their first names are unknown.
The 1900 Census found the Albert W Welch family living at 5 South Street, Brunswick, Cumberland County, Maine. Frank’s oldest sister, Helen, had married Frank N Woodman the year before; they also lived in the household. Frank was 12 years old and was attending school.
In 1907, Frank’s older brother, Albert, emigrated to Canada. Frank followed in 1908. For the 1911 Canadian Census, Frank worked as a baker and lived with his brother Albert, his wife Eva, and their two sons, Ralph & David, in Edmonton, Alberta, Canada.
Frank returned to the United States before he needed to register for the draft. When he registered, Frank worked as a baker at Reilly & MacFarlane, 248 Main in Biddeford[iii].
He and Julia Anna Daley applied for a marriage license only three days before registration day. Six days after registering for the draft, he married Julia. They were both living in Biddeford, York County, Maine then. Rev. Timothy P. Linehan, a pastor at St. Mary’s Roman Catholic Church in Biddeford, performed the ceremony.
Children of Francis Asbury and Julia Anna (Daley) Welch
|Francis W Welch||1918||Emma Ricci||1977|
|Robert Anthony Welch||1920||Margaret Hazelton||2007|
|Margaret Welch||1924||William O’Neill||2019|
The 1920 Census found Francis and Julia living at 30 Green Street, Biddeford. Francis is a baker at a bakery. Little Francis W is one year old. We also learn that Julia’s parents were born in Ireland and spoke English. The house at 30 Green Street was built in 1800[iv] and stands today.
Francis “Frank” Asbury Welch died in 1929 and is buried at St. Mary’s Cemetery in Biddeford, York County, Maine. His marker includes names and dates for him, his wife, two sons, and one daughter.[v]
Events by Location
- Canada, Alberta, Edmonton 1908-1911
- Maine, Cumberland, Brunswick 1900
- Maine, York, Biddeford 1917-1929, Marriage, Death
- Maine, York, Kennebunkport Birth (1887)
[i] I have not researched Albert Wesley Welch or his ancestors yet.
[ii] The birth record for Robert Welch says his father, Francis, was born in Kennebunk instead of Kennebunkport. The 1911 Canadian Census indicates that Frances was born in November 1888 instead of 1887. Also, his cemetery marker indicates 1888. I use 26 November 1887 and Kennebunkport in my records because the 1900 Census indicates he was born in 1887 as does his draft registration.
[iii] Today, 248 Main in Biddeford is a small park area next to Biddeford Savings.
[iv] Internet – Zillow.Com – Listing
[v] Internet – Find a Grave memorial #211456470.
- Maine Vital Records, 1670-1921, Birth – Robert Welch – 12 Dec 1920, Biddeford, York, Maine. FamilySearch (2 March 2021), Robert Welch, Birth 12 Dec 1920; multiple sources, Maine; FHL microfilm 10,208. https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:Q24J-6CW8.
- Biddeford-Saco Journal (Biddeford, Maine), Newspapers.com, Obituary – Francis W Welch – 3 Jan 1977, Page 2.
- Maine Vital Records, 1670-1921, Marriage – Frances Asbury Welch @ Julia Anna Daley – 11 June 1917.
- Maine, World War I Draft Register Index, 1917-1919, Frank A Welch – born 26 Nov 1887. “Maine, World War I Draft Registration Index, 1917-1919,” database with images, FamilySearch (https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:Q2HM-T1LP: 15 March 2018), Frank A Welch, 1917-1919; citing Draft Registration, Biddeford, Biddeford, York, Maine, United States, Maine State Archives, Augusta; FHL microfilm 005756431.
- United States World War I Draft Registration Cards, 1917-1918, Frank A Welch – Registered 5 June 1918. “United States World War I Draft Registration Cards, 1917-1918”, database with images, FamilySearch (https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:KZF1-HHV: 23 December 2021), Frank A Welch, 1917-1918.
- 1900 Census, 1900 – Albert W Welch. “United States Census, 1900”, database with images, FamilySearch (https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:MMLD-FB4: 9 March 2022), Albert W Welch, 1900.
- Canada Census – 1911 (Library and Archives of Canada), Family Search, Albert C Welsh – Edmonton, Alberta, Canada. “Recensement du Canada de 1911,” database, FamilySearch (https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:2768-BYT: 29 March 2022), Frank Welsh in the entry for Albert C Welsh, 1911; citing Census, Edmonton, Alberta, Canada, Library and Archives of Canada, Ottawa, Ontario; FHL microfilm.
- 1920 Census (FS), Francis A Welch, Age 32, York, Maine. “United States Census, 1920”, database with images, FamilySearch (https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:MF84-6YY: 1 February 2021), Francis A Welch, 1920.
- S., Social Security Applications and Claims Index, 1936-2007, Robert Anthony Welch – (1920-2007). Ancestry.com. U.S., Social Security Applications and Claims Index, 1936-2007 [database online]. Provo, UT, USA: Ancestry.com Operations, Inc., 2015. Original data: Social Security Applications and Claims, 1936-2007.
- Maine Vital Records, 1670-1921, Birth – Francis William – 24 Feb 1918. “Maine Vital Records, 1670-1921,” database with images, FamilySearch (https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:Q24J-6DJ8: 2 March 2021), Francis William, Birth 24 Feb 1918; multiple sources, Maine; FHL microfilm 10,208.