Treasure Chest Thursday
By Don Taylor
The Burns Theatre, Colorado Springs, CO
For Treasure Chest Thursday, I looked at three clippings from the Donna Darling Collection which mention The Burns Theater. I love it when there are handwritten notes with photos and Donna’s notes made analyzing these clippings quite easy. One clipping mentions “Colorado Springs” and the other says Barnes Theatre – Colo. Springs Sept 17-18.
I have cropped, edited, and sized these images for the web.
- The venue is the Barnes Theatre, Colorado Springs, Co. The theatre was part of the Western Vaudeville Managers’ Association.
- The show is the “Donna Darling Revue with Sammy Clark”
- Seven other acts were on the bill and also had three shows daily.
- Billy Curtis and Lou Lawrence in “Is That The Custom?”
- Bozo Fox & Company – Vaudeville’s Latest Surprise
- Morrell and Blynor – Beauty, Grace, Speed
- Nick Pallizi – The Wizard of the Accordeon [sic]
- O’Brien Sisters and Mack – Bits of Musical Comedy Hits
- Princess Winona – Indian Prima Donna
- Zuhn and Dreis – Dementus Americanos Habitat North America
From other research, I know that the “Donna Darling Review [sic] with Sammy Clark” was a 1926 show. On September 7th, 1926, the show played in Alton, IL and on October 9, 1926, the show played in Santa Ana, California so its playing in Colorado Springs on September 17 and 18 makes sense.
Sept 17, 18, 1926 – Colorado Springs, CO – Burns Theatre – Donna Darling Review
Donna played at the Burns Theater previously during her Chin Chin performances. See: Donna in Colorado Springs, CO, November 19, 1919, at the Burns Theatre.