Those Places Thursday
By Don Taylor
I often see articles and blogs that remind readers to write about their own life. Something that several suggest is to write about schools that you have attended. Most people have a few schools, but I have 15 schools that I have attended. It is more of a book rather than an article or two. Looking back, I have attended seven elementary schools, one junior high school, three high schools, and four colleges. So, I thought I’d examine the school’s history and see what I can remember of my attending.
- 1955 – Scheffer Elementary, St. Paul, MN– Kindergarten.
- 1956 – Emerson Elementary, Minneapolis, MN – 1st grade.
- 1957 – Cambridge Elementary, Cambridge, MN – 2nd grade.
- 1957 – Franklin Elementary, Anoka, MN – 2nd grade.
- 1958 – Parkview Elementary, Fridley, MN – 3rd, 4th, & 5th grades.
- 1960 – Spring Lake Park Elementary, Spring Lake Park, MN – 5th & 6th grades.
- 1961 – Elizabeth Hall Elementary, Minneapolis, MN 6th grade.
- 1962 – Jordan Junior High School, Minneapolis, MN 7th, 8th, & 9th grades.
- 1965 – Osse0 High, Osseo, MN – 10th, 11th, & 12th grades.
- 1966 – Billings Senior High, Billings, MT – part of 10th grade.
- 1967 – Mumford High, Detroit, MI – part of 11th grade?
- 1968 – Graduated from Osseo High School
- 1974 – Chapman University, Orange, California (Navy PACE)
- 1976 – Chaminade University, Honolulu, Hawaii (Navy PACE)
- 1981 – Anoka Ramsey Community College, Coon Rapids, MN
- 1984 – Metropolitan State University, St. Paul, MN
For each of the schools I attended, I plan to look at the school’s history and see what memories I can jog loose about me and my attending that school. My guess is that most of the elementary schools that I attended are now gone.
————- Disclaimer ————-
 If you had asked me before, I would have said I attended Schaeffer Elementary. Researching for this article I learned it was Scheffer Elementary. I double checked my DD Form 398 – Statement of Personal History. I indicated Schaeffer on mine when I completed it in 1968. Also, the form only included spaces for five schools; I had to continue on another page.
 I will need to look closer at this school. For some reason. I think I went to Central High in Billings but a quick Internet search indicated that would be a Catholic school. I am sure I attended a public school when living in Billings.