By Don Taylor
After I’ve reviewed and double-checked my sources, I review the sources other people have cited as the basis for facts they have found. Do I agree? Do the sources fit the right person. Are there conflicts that I should address?
When I reviewed William Lister on Family Search, I found two different individuals.
First – K8JH-PX9. He was born about 1802 in Maryland. Hie married about 1827 in Pickaway, Ohio, and had four children with “Mrs. William Lister.” Nimrod (1826-?), Sarah (1831-?), William M (1836-?), and James M (1840-?). His parents are Nimrod and Mary Lister. This entry has no sources entered.
Second – KJMH-VN5. He was born about 1793 in Ohio. He married 13 May 1822 to Nancy Strain (1802-1844) and had two children, James A (1822-1869) and William Marcus (1832-1921). He also married Leah Adkins on 23 April 1846 in Pickaway County, Ohio. This profile has five unique sources cited to support the events in William’s life.
Ohio Marriages, 1800-1958
William Sister [Lister] & Nancy Strain Married on 17 June 1822.
This is the same source I have for their marriage. I’m not sure I understand someone entered the marriage date of 30 May 1822. I don’t see that date in the record. I changed the date to 17 June 1822 in keeping with the record. It is available to view here, here, and here.
Ohio Marriages, 1800-1958
William Lister & Lea Adkins Married on 23 April 1846.
Same Find-a-Grave Memorial #38330408[i] I utilized before.
Ohio Deaths, 1908-1953
Death Certificate #12280 – Elizabeth Ellen Corkwell
This was a new source record for me. It confirmed many things I already knew but added much more about the family. It—
- Confirmed Elizabeth was the daughter of William Lister and his second wife, Leah Adkins.
- Provided greater detail regarding her birth and her death.
- Provided the first name of her husband (George) and that he died before her.
- Probable error in the record: Elizabeth’s father, William, is reported as having been born in Ohio. I believe he was born in Maryland, per other records.
Indiana, U.S., Death Certificates, 1899-2011
Death Certificate 22067 – William Marcus Lister
This was a pointer to an Ancestry record.
The record confirmed his birth date, parents’ names, death date, and burial date with the location.
Probable error in the record: The informant, William Marcus’ daughter Emma, reported both her grandparents (William and Nancy Lister) were born in New Jersey. I believe he was born in Maryland based on other records.
Conclusion (Part 2)
After reviewing the sources cited on FamilySearch, I’ve come to the following Conclusions:
- William’s birth date and location. I feel confident that William Lister was born in 1793 in Maryland.
- I doubt that William had a son James Alfred. I believe James Alfred was likely the son of a different William Lister or is a sibling or possibly a cousin.
- William Marcus Lister was born on 2 August 1832 in Pickaway County, Ohio.
[i] Find a Grave, Find a Grave, William Lister, Pvt – 1793-1848. Find a Grave, database and images (https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/38330408/william-lister accessed 17 February 2022), memorial page for Pvt William Lister (1793–20 Nov 1848), Find a Grave Memorial ID 38330408, citing New Holland Cemetery, New Holland, Pickaway County, Ohio, USA ; Maintained by Dave M (contributor 46499754).