Following Morgan/Morgan (Nathan & John)
By Don Taylor
My half-sister Glennis is a DNA match on Ancestry.Com with several individuals who have common ancestors with Francis and Fannie (McGregor) Morgan. In the search to determine Glennis’ biological father, I am continuing to develop a tree of the descendants of Francis and Fannie (McGregor) Morgan of Pleasants County, West Virginia. This time I look at Nathan Spencer Morgan and John A. Morgan. They are the seventh and eighth of twelve children to be examined.
Francis and Fannie (McGregor) Morgan’s 12 children
|Clara M Morgan||Gail Hemsworth
|Married Everett Luzader
Married Earl Deem
|Henry Clifford Morgan||None.||Died at age 15.|
|Lewis V. P. Morgan||Lula Edna Morgan
Opal Jean Morgan
|Died at age 2.
Married William Davis
|Rosa Virginia Morgan||Carrie Vernice May
Clara Bernice May
Mary Fannie May
Edna Marie May
Roy Harold May
|Married Pearl W. Dutton
Married Hezekiah Martin Morrison
Married Floyd T. Williamson
Married Clarence Gorell
Married Della Olive Hooper
|Dora D. Morgan||None||Died at age 2.|
|Ephraim Stokeley Morgan||Helen Virginia Morgan
Ralph W. Morgan
|Married Louis Scott – No Candidates
Died at age 1
|Nathan Spencer Morgan||None (Apparently)||Married Alice Redding|
|John A. Morgan||Louise
|Died as Infant.
Married Iris Edith Estep – 3 children.
|Sarah D Morgan|
|Orien E. Morgan|
|James Cyrus Morgan|
Nathan Spencer Morgan was born on 1 August 1865 in McKim Creek, Pleasants County, West Virginia. He shows living with his parents, Francis Marion and Fanny R. Morgan during the 1870 and 1880 Census records.
He appears to be living in the Yankee Hill Precinct of Lincoln in 1893.
Nathan died on 8 January 1898 and was buried at Yankee Hill Cemetery, Section 3, Lot 185, Space 6, in Lincoln, Lancaster County, Nebraska.
I have been unsuccessful finding any records showing any children of Nathan and Alice Morgan – Born 4 Jun 1876, Died 7 Feb 1879 – No issue. Alice appears to have been a domestic during the 1899 directory and clearly is listed in the 1900 city directory; however, I have been unable to find Alice in the 1900 city directory nor any record of her remarrying.
Note: There was an Irene Morgan, age 10, who was a servant in the household of Daniel G. Sullivan at 1413 B. Street, Lincoln, NE. I considered her a possible child of Nathan and Alice, although she would have been born four months before Nathan and Alice were married. Also, I have been unable to find Irene in any other records other than the 1900 Census.
John A. Morgan – Born 21 March 1867 in Pleasants County, West Virginia.
Married Daisy Wessel. They had four children:
- Louise Morgan – Born 1898 – Died 1898 as an infant
- Harold A. Morgan – Born 27 Sept 1899 Married Daily Wessel
- James Arthur Morgan – Born 1933 in Nebraska – Possible but unlikely.
- Two daughters – Born in the 1930s – Not considered.
- Mildred Eloise Morgan – Born 1905 – Married Vain Burt Franks 1921
- Kenneth Franks – Born 1922-1923 – Not a Candidate.
- One daughter born in the 1920s – Not considered.
- Erma Ruth Morgan – Born 1906 – Married Wilbert Clayton Bauer in 1943. Not considered.
- “Candidates” are males born between 1925 and 1935.
- “Not considered” are females who are unlikely to have had a male child between 1925 and 1935.
- “Possible but unlikely” are males born between 1925 and 1935, but are not named Paul or Phil, which are the likely names of Glennis’ biological father, or otherwise don’t appear to fit the likely candidate who would have been in Minnesota or Michigan in 1953. I will revisit these possibilities later of this project fails to find a potential candidate.
- Research Irene Morgan if and determine if she was a child of Nathan and Alice or died without children. Low priority.
- Follow-up with James Arthur Morgan – Born 1933 in Nebraska if necessary. He is “Possible but unlikely.”
- Find A Grave: database and images (https://www.findagrave.com accessed 31 December 2017), memorial page for Nathan Spencer Morgan (1 Aug 1865–8 Jan 1898), Find A Grave Memorial no. 129565657, citing Yankee Hill Cemetery, Lincoln, Lancaster County, Nebraska, USA; Maintained by Joe & Linda (Ashley) Conroy (contributor 47095445).
- Nebraska, Marriage Records, 1855-1908, Ancestry, Spencer Morgan & Alice M. Redding 0 27 Dec 1890. https://search.ancestry.com/collections/61335/records/169203.
- S. City Directories, 1822-1995, Ancestry, Lincoln, Nebraska, 1893 – Page 50 – Spencer Morgan. Source Information. Ancestry.com. U.S. City Directories, 1822-1995 [database on-line]. Provo, UT, USA: Ancestry.com Operations, Inc., 2011. Original data: Original sources vary according to the directory. The title of the specific directory being viewed is listed at the top of the image viewer page. Check the directory title page image for full title and publication information. https://search.ancestry.com/collections/2469/records/1086701573.
- West Virginia Births, 1853-1930, Family Search, Nathan S Morgan – Aug 1, 1865. “West Virginia Births, 1853-1930,” database, FamilySearch (https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:NM7C-F38 : 4 December 2014), Nathan S Morgan, 1865; citing Pleasants, West Virginia, United States, county courthouses, West Virginia; FHL microfilm 868,170. https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:NM7C-F38.
- Family Search Tree, Family Search, John Albert Morgan – 1867-1931. https://www.familysearch.org/tree/person/details/KZ2H-Y3L.
- Find a Grave, Find a Grave, Francis Marion Morgan – Memorial 34026151. See File: Francis Marion Morgan (1840 – 1922) – Find A Grave Memorial.pdf. https://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GRid=34026151.