By Don Taylor
It is always “fun” when the surname changes. Lydia’s surname has been represented several ways including Cockeram, Cochran, and Cockram. Cockeram seems to be the most commonly used form.
Research Family 2019 – Ancestor #125
List of Grandparents
- Grandmother: Madonna Mae Montran
- 1st Great-grandmother: Ida Mae Barber (1874-1953)
- 2nd Great-grandmother: Sarah H Blackhurst (1848-1929)
- 3rd Great-grandfather: Stephen Blackhurst (1801-1869)
- 4th Great-grandfather: Lydia Ellen Cockeram (1777-1827)
Lydia Cockeram (c. 1777-1827)
It is not clear when Lydia Cockeram was born. Possibly as early as 1775 and as late as 1778 nor who here parents are because two Lydia Cockerams were born in Mackworth, Derbyshire, England within a year of each other. One to Adam and Elizabeth Cockeram and the other to John and Helen Cockeram. For more information about the parents of Lydia, please see “Lydia Cockeram’s Parents.”
If Adam and Elizabeth are her parents, then she grew up the 7th of 8 children. At least two of her siblings died before she was born (Catherine-1, and Thomas). Her other siblings included Mary, Elizabeth, Catherine-2, Alice, and Adam.
If John and Helen were her parents, then she had at least one sister, also named Lydia, who was baptized on 7 July 1772 and was buried on 4 March 1773. I have much more research to do on this possible parentage. Hopefully, I will find something which clarifies who Lydia’s parents are.
Marriage & Adulthood
Lydia married Stephen Blackhurst on 14 Jun 1802 at St. Peter’s Church in Derby, Derbyshire, England.
Lydia and Stephen would have at least nine children. The first two were born in Derby, and the other seven were born in Sheffield, Yorkshire, England.
The Children Stephen and Lydia Blackhurst
|Mary||c. 1806||Possibly 1877|
|William||c. 1813||Possibly 1880|
|Lydia||c. 1815||Possibly 1894|
|John||c. 1818||Probably after 1844|
|Adamson||c. 1819||Possibly 1901|
It appears that Stephen and Lydia moved from Derby, Derbyshire, to Sheffield, Yorkshire in 1805 or 1806.
Death & Burial
Lydia (Cockeram) Blackhurst died on 6 May 1827, probably at the age of 50.
Further Actions / Follow-up
- Further research on the parents of Lydia is necessary to confirm which set of parents, Adam & Elizabeth or John & Helen are Lydia’s parents.
- I need to determine any additional children for John & Helen besides the two Lydia’s.
- I need to confirm births, marriages, and deaths for all of Stephen and Lydia’s children.
- Derbyshire, England, Church of England Baptisms, Marriages and Burials, 1538-1812 (Mackworth, Derbyshire, England, ), Com, Lydia Cockeram – 22 Apr 1777 – Mackworth, All Saints, Derbyshire, England.
- England Births and Christenings, 1538-1975, Family Search, Eliza Blackhurst. “England Births and Christenings, 1538-1975,” database, FamilySearch (https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:NGNQ-4MJ : 11 February 2018, Stephen Blackhurst in the entry for Eliza Blackhurst, 09 Mar 1805); citing , index based upon data collected by the Genealogical Society of Utah, Salt Lake City; FHL microfilm 422,207, 422,208, 498,068, 498,069.
- England Births and Christenings, 1538-1975, Family Search, Stephen Blackhurst. “England Births and Christenings, 1538-1975,” database, FamilySearch (https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:NV78-7MZ : 11 February 2018, Stephen Blackhurst in the entry for Stephen Blackhurst, 13 Jul); citing yr 1662-1810, index based upon data collected by the Genealogical Society of Utah, Salt Lake City; FHL microfilm 422,208.
- England, Derbyshire, Church of England Parish Registers, 1537-1918, Family Search, Marriage – Stephen Blackhurst & Lydia Cockran – 14 Jun 1802.
- England, Pallot’s Marriage Index, 1780-1837, Com, Lydia Cockram & Stephen Blackhurst – 1802. Accessed 28 Jun 2019.
————– Disclaimer ————–
 Stephen Blackhurst (1803-1869) is my 3rd Great-grandfather.
 Items identified as “Possibly” or “Probably” have not been verified or confirmed by me.