By Don Taylor
William Lister is my earliest verified Lister Ancestor. He was probably born in Maryland about 1793. He served in the War of 1812, married twice, and died in Monroe, Pickaway County, Ohio.
Roberts/Brown – Ancestor #44
List of Grandparents
- 5 – Grandmother: Essie Pansy Barnes(1903-1982)
- 11 – 1st Great-grandmother: Marada Mae Lister(1867-1932)
- 22 – 2nd Great-grandfather: Nimrod Lister(c. 1826-c. 1890)
- 44 – 3rd Great-grandfather: William Lister (1793-1848)
- 88 – 4th Great-grandfather: ? Nimrod Lister (1765-1847)?*
- 176 – 5th Great-grandfather: ? Nimrod Lister (1730-1813)?*
- 352 – 6th Great-grandfather: ? William Lister (1688-1732)?*
- 704 – 7th Great-grandfather: ? Thomas Lister (1654-___)?*
(* Note: Ancestors marked with “*” are tentative/speculative and have not been independently researched by me.)
William Lister (1793-1848)
William was born in 1793 in Maryland. His parents were likely Nimrod and Mary Lister.
William appears on the roll of Capt. Alexander Robinson’s company serving between 30 August and 9 October 1812. He was a private in the Army.
He also served in Capt. George Yocums Company of the Ohio Militia.
William married Nancy Strain on 17 June 1822. They had four children together.
|Nimrod||1824 – Ohio||Malinda Evans||1888|
|Sarah||c. 1830 – (Ohio)||Aaron Dean|
|William Marcus||1832 (Ohio)||Elizabeth Krohn||1921|
|James M.||c. 1840|
The 1930 US Census found William living in Walnut Township, Pickaway County, Ohio. With him is a female age 20 to 29, presumed to be William’s wife, Nancy, and a male under 5, presumed to be Nimrod. Also living with them is a female aged 10 to 14. This is probably a sibling of either William or Nancy.
Nancy died on 23 November 1844 in Pickaway County, Ohio, at the age of 37.
William married Leah Adkins on 23 April 1846 in Highland County, Ohio. They had one child together
|Elizabeth Ellen||1847||George Corkwell||1933|
William Lister died on 23 November 1848, presumably in Monroe, Pickaway County, Ohio. He was buried at the New Holland Cemetery in New Holland, Pickaway County, Ohio.
Sometime before 20 November 1848, William 5old 50 acres to Elacy Enis & William King for $450. William died before the property transfer could occur, so his probate administrator needed to process conveying the title on 1 July 1850.
Events by Location
- Maryland: 1793 – Birth.
- Ohio, Highland County 1822 – Marriage 1
- Ohio, Pickaway County: 1812 – Military Service.
- 1824 – Birth of Nimrod.
- 1830 – Census.
- 1832 – Birth of William Marcus
- 1846 – Marriage 2
- Ohio, Pickaway County, Monroe: 1848 – Property Sale.
- 1848 – Death
- Ohio, Pickaway County, New Holland: 1848 – Burial
Further Actions / Follow-up
- Research William’s Military Records closely.
- Research William’s Children.
- Find William in 1800 & 1810 Censuses (with Nimrod?).
- Find William in the 1820 Census.
- Find William in the 1840 Census.
- 1830 Census (A) (NARA), Com, Walnut, Pickaway, Ohio; Series: M19; Roll: 138; Page: 50; Family History Library Film: 0337949. 16th name down, Wm Lister. https://www.ancestry.com/sharing/27472134?h=cac284&utm_campaign=bandido-webparts&utm_source=post-share-modal&utm_medium=copy-url.
- 1880 Census (FS), Nimrod Lister – Indiana, Sullivan, Gill Township, ED 329, Page 5, Line 18. https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:MHSF-ZKC.
- Find a Grave, Find a Grave, William Lister, Pvt – 1793-1848. Find a Grave, database and images (https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/38330408/william-lister: accessed 17 February 2022), memorial page for Pvt William Lister (1793–20 Nov 1848), Find a Grave Memorial ID 38330408, citing New Holland Cemetery, New Holland, Pickaway County, Ohio, USA ; Maintained by Dave M (contributor 46499754).
- Ohio, County Marriages, 1774-1993, Com, William Lister & Leah Adkins. 23 Apr 1846 – Pickaway, Ohio.
- Ohio, County Marriages, 1789-2016, Family Search, Highland County Marriage Records 1821-1837, vol 1-2, Page 180 – #600 – William Sister [Lister] & Nancy Strain – Issued 17 June 1822. https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:ZZ5F-7T6Z.
- Ohio, U.S., Soldier Grave Registrations, 1804-1958, Ancestry, William Lister (1793-1848) Note: Image is available at Fold 3. https://www.fold3.com/image/615941246/?xid=1022. com. Ohio, U.S., Soldier Grave Registrations, 1804-1958 [database online]. Lehi, UT, USA: Ancestry.com Operations, Inc., 2017.
- Roster of Ohio Soldiers in the War of 1812, Ancestry, Page 52 (From Pages 291-292) – William Lister. com. Roster of Ohio Soldiers in the War of 1812 [database online]. Provo, UT: Ancestry.com Operations Inc, 2004. https://www.ancestry.com/discoveryui-content/view/54:20073?ssrc=pt&tid=44719138&pid=362034097121.
- S., War of 1812 Service Records, 1812-1815 (National Archives), Ancestry.Com, William Lister – SO # 7572 – SC 3871.
- Unknown, Other, Image shared originally by rootdigger193 on Ancestry 01 Jan 2011. Accessed 16 Feb 2022.
[i] Accessed on 1 June 2022.