By Don Taylor
I know very little about my 3rd great-grandfather, Joel Barnes. He may have been born 1bout 1790 in Broome County, New York. He married Lucy Wilson Taft and they had at least one child, Nelson, born in 1816. I have no idea about any other children nor any death information.
In 1850, I would expect Joel to be about 60 years old.
Using Family Searcy, my search for Joel Barnes in the 1850 Census yielded 13 results.
- Joel Barnes, Born 1846 in Georgia – Too young.
- Joel Barnes, born 1845 in Indiana – Too young.
- Joel Barnes, Born 1839 in Kentucky – Too young.
- Joel Barnes, born 1836 – Too young.
- Joel Barnes, Born 1830 in South Carolina – Too Young
- Joel Barnes, Born 1829 in South Carolina – Too Young
- Joel Barnes, born 1827 in North Carolina – Too young.
- Joel Barnes, born 1816 in North Carolina – Too young.
- Joel Barnes, Born 1824 in Kentucky- Too young.
- Joel Barnes, Born 1810 in Pennsylvania – Too young.
- Joel Barnes, born 1795 in Vermont – Possible
- Joel Barnes, Born 1790 in Tennessee. Possible.
- Joel Barnes, Born 1782 in Massachusetts. Possible.
That left 3 possible Barnes’ listed by birthyear.
- 1795 – Living in Corinth, Orange County, Vermont. Has an apparent wife, Ruth, and an implied mother living with him. No Lucy; unlikely my Joel Barnes.
- 1790 – Living in South Nashville, Davidson, Tennessee. He has an apparent daughter in law and two grandchildren living with him. No Lucy; unlikely my Joel Barnes.
- 1782 – Living in Thompson, Windham, Connecticut. He has an apparent wife, Mary Barnes and an apparent daughter, Eliza; unlikely my Joel Barnes.
None of these entries are consistent with expectations, so I believe that either Joel died before 1850 or was enumerated differently.
Look at potential Joel Barnes’ in the 1840 Census.